HD has maple ply, but only red oak and poplar boards... Mix/match?

My local HD has maple ply on sale for $29/sheet and I picked some up, but they didn't have any maple boards to use for trim/facing.
The HD carries red oak, poplar, white pine, and fir boards. Would any of these work well with the maple (I'd prefer a uniform look)? Or should I find a lumber yard that carries maple?
While I'm asking the question, I would have the same problem at this HD with their birch ply? Would any of the board choices work well with birch? I wish they would just carry some matching boards, it would make life easier. :) (the only combination they stock is red oak)
Thanks for any suggestions. YJJim
YJJim wrote: > (I'd prefer a uniform look)? Or

Depends partially on how you plan to finish it... stain? dye? natural? paint?
And, yes, for the best match you should probably find a lumber yard that carries maple.
--
************************************
Chris Merrill

If you are going to do something serious with it be carefull it is not that good of a board . The plys are good and you may find if they honest with you that the backs are actually Birch All in all it is not a bad board for the price, A freind has bought about 5 or 6 skids of it in the last 6 months and use's it for Kitchen cabinets but nothing that shows. My industrial supplier said he can't even come close to that price for the same material,

It's funny that these national home centers stock different lumber depending on the area of the country you're in. I was on the west coast recently and their hardwood lumber is quite different than here in Mass. They stock red oak, maple and poplar here, although I did find some western red cedar down in R.I. which I understand isn't hardwood, but it's the only home depot I found that had it. Check out this link for maple in your area http://www.woodfinder.net/home.html
Dave

Not All Home Depots are created equal, When in the Washington DC area I used to get color caulking that match all the Kohler bath fixtures from Home Depot Out here is AZ they do not have it,
Even in this area I am with 10 miles of about 6 Home Depots and they all do not carry the same products.
Dave where in Mass are you from ?????

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (YJJim) wrote in message

All of the Home Depots around here have Maple boards but none have Maple Plywood. Go figure.
You can get Maple veneer edge-banding by mail order. If you can find Birch edge-banding locally that will probably look good. Or the contrast of Cherry or Walnut might look good on Maple plywood.
--

FF

Thanks,
I was in the Rockler store that just opened here in Atlanta yesterday and picked up some birch edge banding. It should do fine for this project.
Several people have indicated that the maple ply from HD is not good quality. I am just a newbie and don't know much about plywood quality (other than voids are bad, thick veneer on the top and bottom is good but impossible to find, and the more plys the better). The maple I got from HD appears to be 7 ply (5 normal plys and the surfaces are thin veneer). I am using these to build cabinets/book shelves in the closet of my home office. I want a wood look, but since they are in the closet, it doesn't have to be "top" quality wood (but should still look nice).
Any suggestions about what I should be looking for for better ply? Would maple or birch plywood from a real lumber yard be better quality than the HD stuff? If so, how can I tell?
Thanks again for everyone's comments, YJJim
snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Fred the Red Shirt) wrote in message

FWIW, my HD does carry solid maple. Not a lot of it, but enough to do trim/facing. I bought some a few weeks ago to do some trim around cabinets that I had put in.
Jim
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (YJJim) wrote in message

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (YJJim) wrote in message

The last time they had maple plywood I got some with a lot of birdseye figure in it. I have the prettiest router table and rolling shop cart you ever saw.
Dick Durbin
On 8 Dec 2003 07:09:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (YJJim) wrote:

Many HDs do carry maple boards (at least in NJ and MA). Check with other sin your area. Unless you live in a really remote place, there are probably two, three or dozen more within a hour's drive.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (YJJim) wrote in

I picked up a few sheets. The outer veneers are about 1/16" thick, but not bonded very well. I had the worst chip out I have ever had with plywood. Got really bad chipout when using a zero clearance insert and cutting with a Freud 80 tooth Ultimate cross cut. Never had this much of a problem before.
It's ok for shop cabinets, but not for fine work.
--
Chuck
---Spam Block---