G0586 - Grizzly 8" Jointer

IDoes anyone know how this model stacks up against the G0500? I saw some debate here a while back - some folks saying that it can't be as good since it was priced so much less. This does appear to be the replacement for the highly touted G0500, however, so I was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts.

JP

*************** Grizzled.
Reply to
Jay Pique

What I have read and this was per Grizzly's article is that They are almost identical except for the elevated controls and it's mfg in China. But to me when they say China that leaves alot to be desired. The main concern I have is the fact that there is no mention of the cast iron bed being stress relieved before final flattening. I think the G0500 will be missed.

Reply to
Seeker

I called Grizzly and asked the same question. Evidently, the G0500 is being discontinued and replaced with the G0586. I don't have the spec sheets in front of me but the tech that I spoke with said the G0586 had some sort of a handwheel function on the fence that made it much easier to move and set square. Otherwise it's basically the same though. When asked which one he would buy he said the G0586. He also said the price on it would be going up in the new year so order before Jan 1 to get the lower pricing. I'm trying to find the $$ for it now! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

When I spoke to Grizzly about choosing which one I got the same answer as Seeker in his post. The tech told me the 0500 was made in Taiwan and the

0586 was made in China. The 0500 was stress relieved and the 0586 was not. Jay, you must have spoken with a different rep than I did because I got the opposite answer as you. My rep told me the 0500 was a higher quality standard, it is better, but the 0586 is lower cost.

I guess what you hear depends upon who you speak to and when. Rich PS I went with what I knew, the 0500 and I have no complaints at all.

Reply to
Rich

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to call Grizzly myself and see what story they give me.

Question - if the 0586 isn't stress relieved prior to grinding, but arrives at my door within spec for flatness, is it likely to move over time? Is there a period of time beyond which it's unlikely to move? I guess I don't understand the physics (or the psychology sometimes!) of stress relief.

JP

********************************************************************* I find stress is relieved during the grinding process itself.
Reply to
Jay Pique

If not properly cured/ or stress relieved before grinding cast iron will continue to cure for quite awhile hense it will warp.

Reply to
Seeker

True. How long it will continue to move depends on environmental factors as well as the quality of the cast iron. It can move for years.

Reply to
CW

The G500 was reviewed in Fine Woodworking about two issues ago, the 586 was not available yet. Well, it came in and got a write up in the latest FWW.

My question, a week ago, would have been - given the fairly good review of the 586 how does it compare to the YC08J form Yorkcraft? Its all academic though. I picked up my YC8J last Saturday!

Reply to
No

Here's what Grizzly had to say when I emailed them....

Thank you for your email dated November 20, 2005.

We appreciate your interest in our products. The G0500 and G0586 are very similar machines. The only differences are the placement of the switch on the machines and the country of origin. The G0586 has a pedestal-mounted switch, and the G0500 has the switch mounted to the stand; the G0500 is manufactured in Taiwan, while the G0586 is manufactured in China. Both machines draw the same amperage of either

12 at 110-volts or 24 at 220-volts. I have attached a PDF of the specification sheet for the G0586 for your reference.

The G0586 is less expensive at this time, as it is being offered at a special introductory price. If you wish to order this item, you may either call our Order Desk at 1-800-523-4777, or you may order online at

If we may be of any further assistance, you may contact us by email at snipped-for-privacy@grizzly.com or you may call our Order Desk at 1-800-523-4777. You are a valued customer and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Tara Customer Service Grizzly Industrial, Inc. EN# 756

Reply to
Jay Pique

"12 at 110-volts or 24 at 220-volts."

Seems to me they got the amps mixed up there.

-John in NH

Reply to
John Girouard

Well we'll see what they tell me as I emailed them yesterday after I read here that the tables were not stress relieved. I find it hard to believe in this day in age of large ovens etc... that they wouldn't stress relieve them. Seems like they'd just be asking for trouble if they didn't. Anyway, we'll see what they say when I get their email! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Hello:

I just got off the phone with Grizzly tech support and asked them if the jointer was stress-relieved. He told me it was electronicaly stress-relieved. He said the word got out on some woodworking forums that it was not. I just ordered a G0586. Since I live in California and the Washington warehouse is out of stock, I will see the jointer in mid December. Apparently they are moving some inventory from the east coast warehouses to Washington, so you east coasters should have it in stock.

James "Cubby" Culberts>>

Reply to
Joseph Connors

On Mon 21 Nov 2005 12:18:20p, Joseph Connors wrote in news:Qbogf.55$ snipped-for-privacy@fe05.lga:

Possibly because the phrase "electronically stress relieved" appears in several Grizzly jointer descriptions but not in the G0586 description nor the spec sheet.

From what little research I've been able to do, electronic stress relief is the use of harmonics or "sub-harmonics" to the same thing a stress relief annealing oven does, except without an oven and in less time.

I'm guessing some writer didn't think it was necessary to say "electronically stress relieved" in EVERY jointer description, and now Grizzly is finding out that maybe it is.

I've got the G0586, and I'm fervently hoping that's the case. I sent an email to Grizz and they responded saying they hadn't heard anything about that bed NOT being stress relieved, but they'd forwarded the message on to another department and they'd be getting back to me.

Probably shoulda called 'em. :-)

In any event, except for this little question of the stress relief, I am extremely happy with this jointer. It went together easy and it's already flattened 7 six-foot boards between 5 and 7.5 inches wide. It was pretty easy, too. I thought there'd be more of a trick to it. David Marks can keep his 16-incher. I was showing it off to SWMBO and a friend last weekend, and they both want to repaint it as an aircraft carrier.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Interestingly, the G0500 no longer appears on their website. Appears maybe they did sell out of them (they were discontinuing them). I hope that 0586 is stress relieved! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I bought the G0500 about 2 years ago.. It was one of those things you think to yourself ..."Man thats alot of machine for such a little scratch.. probably a piece of c*&^ " but I have nothing bad to say about it so far I'm making a maple table now. I'm turning legs and have learned some

about designing too much to copy LOL No templates just out of me own head ... the first one was easy.... it's these last three.....

health n laughter

Reply to
Brendan

"Papa Grizzly" replied to this same question, (by me) on the Woodnet forum and said that all of their jointer tables are electronically stress relieved. He's the owner of the company so I would think he knows. I was curious about the omission on their website too but it was probably just an oversight. The guy refinancing my house just told me the rates droped and I'm getting a lot more money than I originally thought. This is still the jointer I'm buying but now I might look into the carbide insert cutterhead. Maybe...

Bruce

Reply to
theblacksheep

I think I read in FWW recently that they were relatively unimpressed with the quality of cut from the carbide insers. I'd be interested to see a side by side comparison. I'd also be interested to see how they stack up WRT tear-out on cherry or highly figured woods. Given that some sanding would be done any exposed surface, I think a *slightly* inferior cut would be more than offset by the other advantages of the insert.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique