Forum

I currently belong to a few forums . . . Is there a reason this group does not have a forum with a WEB site . . . How hard would it be to do this? Would this not eliminate the "crap" postings . . Any suggestions appreciated . . . I have not found any woodworking forums . .

Reply to
Steve DeMars

On 2006-05-16, Steve DeMars ranted thusly:

Perhaps it is that most consider it cowardly and unamerican to give up their freedom (to do whatever they want while acknowledging their responsibilities to their fellow man) in exchange for the security that a moderator would provide. They want to deal with the terror on a more personal level, and acquire the weapons to do so.

:)

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

They seem to have missed out on the last part. Giving the devil his due, I belong to a local private newsgroup that has been completely bankrupt, largely by the efforts of one person who finally declared himself the moderator, being somehow employed by that ISP. People simply left, as he played the Wizard of Oz, pulling levers and strings in the background, and sticking his nose into each and every bit of conversation. Now, all you'll see are a long, long list of his personal "contributions", with a few odd replies from fellow employees, the number of which can be counted on one hand. I left some time back.

It's a constant argument. People have a right to smoke [even though it makes them stink, they have the right.] They have a right to run around naked. They just don't have that right in a mixed society that generally condemns it. Yup, it's the last part that's missing.

Reply to
Guess who

Yup, I usually just lurk around here for years off and on because I have projects that I want to know the best way to go about doing them.

Don't let the ba$tard$ win.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

Most of us prefer the conversation dynamics of a usenet group, despite occasional troubles like this. But for those poor misguided souls who prefer a web interface, there are several good ww web forums. Two big ones are

and
Wood central (I believe) has archives of the grand daddy of web ww forums, Badger Pond. Both are good resources, although I find the forums themselves a real pain compared to usenet.

My favorite web ww forum is much smaller, Sawmill Creek

Tightly monitored (and yes, that does have its drawbacks. open to guest browsing, but only members can post, with their full names--no handles. Keeps it very civil (maybe sometimes too civil, if an atrocious idea is not soundly enough condemned). But lots of folks there (particularly in the design and neander forums) really know their stuff.

Finally another option I will probably kick myself for mentioning: google groups tries to make usenet work like a web forum. Unfortunately, a large number of google group users use it like a web forum, with no quoting of articles to which they are replying, etc., and as a result, many folks just set filters to ignore posts coming from google groups. As a result, you might find this group less responsive to your questions if you go that route.

Reply to
alexy

Thanks everyone . . . I'm sorry I just looked at this group as a way to gain "experience" in an accelerated manner . . . without losing body parts or mass amounts of good wood turned to saw dust . . .

But I now understand the freedom aspect . . . seems unimportant now with everyone still worshiping the puppet masters . . .

Bush & Cheney . . . .

Steve

Reply to
Steve DeMars

Thanks for the sawmill creek link TomNie

My favorite web ww forum is much smaller, Sawmill Creek

Reply to
Tom Nie

So, you visited, tried to change things to suit yourself, found we like it as is, then you blame the President. Shows who the real $%&*# is.

Sorry to see you go. No, wait, I'm not sorry. Bye.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Don't get too excited I'm gonna stay A$$^0@!

Reply to
Steve DeMars

The Steve DeMars entity posted thusly:

Nothing stopping you from doing so, except yourself, that is.

"the freedom aspect", as you put it, may not be what you think it is.

Just as you are free to visit, read, write to, or complain about this newsgroup, you are equally free to ignore it. Bear in mind that others are equally free to do the same.

You are also free to start a moderated forum, be it web-based or usenet based (you might try learning the difference). There are, as others have pointed out, web-based fora you can participate in. It's up to you to decide where you go to get your information, just as it's up to everyone else to do the same.

That you see many folks participating here is de facto proof that not everyone agrees with your opinion. That's another aspect of freedom, bub. You put your opinion out there for everyone to see, and you can be virtually certain that there will be those that disagree with it. Get used to it.

Bush/Cheney have nothing to do with it. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Yes. It's a newsgroup. It's usenet. Look it up.

No idea. I don't feel obligated to provide you with a forum and a way to look at it.

Maybe, but then, it might not. If it did, it might eliminate some (or many) non-crap postings too. A forum isn't much use if it's moderated by someone who kills postings that he disagrees with, and many moderators have found out the hard way that they are preaching to empty pews.

I suggest you do what you think is right for you, and stop whining that your needs are not being met by a random bunch of folks that are under no obligation to satisfy your every whim.

  1. You haven't looked hard enough
  2. You haven't acted on the (at least 2) postings that pointed you to some.

Come back when you've grown up. Or not, it's your choice.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

The Steve DeMars entity posted thusly:

Welcome to usenet.

If there's one truth you should accept from all this, it's that you reap what you sow.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

You are a bored old moron . .

Reply to
Steve DeMars

| To all you have misunderstood my post . . . Yes I am ignorant as to | USENET vs a moderated forum . . . I apologize for my ignorance. The | reason I suggested a forum is I enjoy and appreciate all the help I | have received here. I viewed the "trash" post as something that was | permanent . . . I had already contacted my I.P. to get server space | for a forum, but had no idea what was involved in operating one . . | nor did I realize how one was run . . . again I apologize for my | lack of knowledge in this area . . .

'S ok. We all started out not knowing much. The trash will age and become invisible before long. Perhaps it would help you to know that, as with most usenet "help" fora, people are upset to one degree or another whenever someone dumps their load of manure where we like to meet - and we're all subject to bad days.

There's a lot of practical woodworking expertise on tap here - and most of the people with that expertise are here because they enjoy sharing it with other people. The guys you locked horns with have given evidence over an extended period that [a] they're good people and [b] they're pretty savvy woodworkers. I'd encourage you to cut 'em some slack because they've earned it.

Welcome to usenet and the wreck.

Morris Dovey

Thanks . . . I ntend to follow your advice . . .

Thanks aga>

Reply to
Steve DeMars

Steve, if I have your leave to call you that, and I only mean the familiarity in a neighborly way - rec.woodworking, aka rec.norm, aka The Wreck, is a special sorta place in the sphere of Uselessnet.

There are never more than about three hundred posters who are active in the course of a year.

There are far fewer who are active on a weekly basis.

There are only a piddling amount of folks who chime in every day.

It is a closely held community of wooddorkers, most of whom have known each other for more than five years.

If you hang out here for a bit you will find the usual range of humans. Some folks are gems and others are dross.

We have never felt a need for moderation because the group is basically self-moderating. If someone is being an asshole on a given day, the group will let them know - bigtime.

I have always found it to be a place of fair minded exchage, albeit somewhat suspect of new ideas, not backed up by demonstrable evidence

- which seems fair.

The group seems to be generally intolerant of coarse language, although they enjoy the occassional rough joke - like the kind my Uncle Al tells from time to time.

I can tell you that the way to fit in is to hang in and take the lumps that come with being the FNG in any group that you have ever tried to be in.

The Wreck is a fair place. It has been for all of the time that I've hung out here, and that goes back to 1994.

Tell us what you know. Ask us what you don't know. Don't try to change the place because it never has and it prolly never will - that seems fair, too.

Welcome to the Wreck, Brother.

I wish you much enjoyment of it.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Of course no usenet thread would be complete without at least one:

"me too"

Reply to
lwasserm

Thanks, this will be so much fun ! ! !

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

... snip of top-posted potty-mouth

Refined, gracious, and articulate, ain't he? ;-)

... snip

Mark & Juanita

By Tue, 16 May 2006 20:24:34 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net () decided to post "Re: Forum" to rec.woodworking:

Man, this flame war was weak. Why did I bother reading it?

It's a poser.

/..

Reply to
/..