Followup on PSI DC muffler post

Well, I got the beast Saturday and tried it out for a few minutes... (present shop doesn't have safe wiring for the DC)
As discussed by the group, it really does make a difference in sound level... not only quiets down the HF 2 hp unit but seems to change the tone, also... not nearly as annoying as before..
Thanks again for all the help in understanding how lowering a dc from 80 to 70 DB can lower the sound level up to 50%... I still don't understand the math but it convinced me to spend the $80 on the muffler..
Thanks also from my future neighbors in Baja... I'm sure that they'll be happier now.. *g*
Mac

Ya know Mac, if you are the only guy around in Baja with a complete woodshop, you may end up being the go to guy for all kinds of things!
Will this be a good thing or a bad thing?

I also have the HF 2hp DC. It's on it's own circuit. Works great. Thought about the muffler but 'till now didnt know it would make a big difference. I'll order the muffler, too. I like the way you have the can set up with the "Y" going directly into the lid.

Thanks, Jimmy... That was my 2nd try and seems to work really well...
Until I found out that my DC was making all my shop lights burn out, I used the DC a lot and never had to empty the bags.. Mac

Jimmy... it was also a good excuse to build a big circle cutting jig for the router.. *g*
Mac
On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:39:16 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

I'm seriously hoping that it's a good thing, both in the business and networking areas...
At the same time, I don't want to be known as the S.O.B. with the noisy tools, either.. sound really travels in the desert... Mac
mac davis wrote:

It's good to have my opinion validated by someone else. Since I had never run mine without the muffler, I had no real idea how much it helped. I did know that it made it possible to converse normally with the DC on.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 18:12:46 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

I ran a few tests with and without the muffler.... my wife was standing out on the sidewalk, since the open garage door tends to focus the noise in that direction...
She compared the noise levels to "louder than the RAS" before and "quieter than the shop vac" ( an old Craftsman) after... she said that it made quite a difference in noise level and tone...
I think the biggest difference in the shop is the tone... a less irritating level, maybe... YMWV Mac