Fine Woodworking

I have about 80-100 back issues of FWW that I am trying to figure out what to do with. I am planning on replacing them with the CD of the articles. Lacking a better idea, they go to a garage sale.
Has anyone used the CD of FWW back issues?
Matthew (who is trying to minimize stored stuff...)
Matthew asks:

Unless someone has changed something, that CD is SELECTED articles, not all the material in the back issues.
Charlie Self "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill

You should scan every issue and edit all of them. Then sell the mags on eBay. Then I will bid on them!
Alex
I would not be so anxious to get rid of them. I have about 12 years worth on about 2 ft of shelf space in my workshop - a lot less space than some of the crap I've accumulated over the years.
They are worth something in the non-digitized world.
I always considered the magazine more like an art form than typical woodworkers rags. If nothing else, the "Current Work" section itself is an inspiration - not to mention the back cover.
I get Wood and WW Journal also, but there is something special about FWW.
Lou

An old friend, who was/is trying to lighten his load, so his wife won't have so much to deal with, when he passes to the other side, graced me with his large collection of Fine Woodworking magazines, including a pretty complete run of the black and white years. I was grateful at the time, and more so, as I read the articles and columns by artists of an earlier generation.
So find a young woodworker or two, and see what you can do. Most of them will not have heard of Nakashima, Frid, Odate or Franks, or of the other lumniaries of their day. Their vision, however, continues...
Patriarch

impressed when we opened/ran it the first time. I had to do that to maintain the domestic tranquility. I am far more impressed every month with the magazines when they come in the mail.
Jack
how much are you thinking of asking for them at the garage sale?
Matthew wrote:

A buck an issue or so.
Matthew

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:46:26 -0500, "Matthew"
|I have about 80-100 back issues of FWW that I am trying to figure out what |to do with. I am planning on replacing them with the CD of the articles. |Lacking a better idea, they go to a garage sale. | |Has anyone used the CD of FWW back issues?
I don't know about the CDs for FWW. I tried CD versions of one of my ham radio magazines and they suck. Trying to find anything is extremely clunky.
If the FWW CDs are like the ham stuff and anything like their (FWW) on-line index then you will be very unhappy.
Try finding an article that you know you saw in FWW using their on-line index and see what I'm talking about.
Besides, who wants to sit on the john with a laptop computer?

After years of marking articles in magazines with post-it tabs and realizing that was not going to be helpful in being able to access articles in the future, I have started something different. I started generating my own index in KeyNote, sorted by subject (e.g. End Tables, Bookcases, etc). Really interesting articles and tips I scan in and then index to the scanned files. For really large articles, or those I find of only potential interest I only index those articles. I only index articles that I think will be of interest to me now or in the future (if I'm wrong, that's the way it goes). If that seems to be of interest to anyone, I could redact the Magazine articles tab from my KeyNote file and make it available. Obviously, the links to the scanned in files won't be of any use, but the magazine title, volume and page will still be listed. If I don't scan in any articles, it only takes about 10 minutes per magazine to index the interesting articles. If I scan in any articles, that time could go up to 30 minutes -- but at least [I think] I'll be able to find things of interest in the future.
For those not familiar with KeyNote, check out: <http://keynote.prv.pl

Is there anywhere online that indexes FWW? I was able to download the contents of about 18 years worth of journal articles from NLM and load into Endnote (similar to Keynote?)
bob g.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~stremen/fww_i.html

What is NLM ?