Fast and easy cabinet door...Opinion

NO BIG DEAL! The difference between 35mm and 1-3/8" is less than .003". Most Forstner bit sets have that size, 1-3/8"

Reply to
Leon

Get the little woman to make curtains for the shelves.

Perhaps shades cut to size from the box store?

Reply to
HeyBub

shop built cabinets. I'd like to put doors on the cabinets to keep the dust out of my stuff (well at least try). I want fast cheap and dimensionally stable. I could cut up a bunch of 3/4 MDF for the doors but that stuff is heavy and the hinges may rip out with shop use. I could make real rail and stile doors with a ply panel but that is a lot of work for a shop door. Plywood warps unless you use the expensive baltic birch stuff.

and laid it on the concrete floor. Using liquid nails I glued a series of 1x4 clear pine in the shape of the desired door sizes. Then I glue another sheet of luan to the top. Compress the whole thing with concrete blocks. After a couple of days, cut out the doors by ripping them such that each door has 1/2 the width of the 1x4. I'd end up with a light, strong and dimensionally stable, door. A

4x8 sheet of doors at a time. Would they be as good as I think?

Not quite the same but similar. When they built my yard shed, they nailed all of the 2X4 to the sheathing panel to form the door (Traditional barn type door) and door frame. They then brought the hole thing to the site. and cut the door out after it was part of the building.

I guess what I am saying it seems like a quick efficient way to make a lot of doors. They would be attractive, and sturdy.

One problem I see is the edges of the plywood where you cut the doors a part. It may splinter off leaving a less that attractive edge, so you may wish to consider a way of dressing the edges.

Reply to
knuttle

Depending on the size, layout, and elegance of your shop cabinets, you might try sliding doors. These, of course, can be as fancy you like. If large, rollers in a track are helpful like pocket or shower doors. Smaller ones can ride in a rabbet. They won't be dust proof but will keep the possums out, are cheap, and could use essentially your original plan.

Reply to
Joe