Double Mortise/Tenon--Long

Page 2 of 2

Nice way to take care of the "slipping clamp" issue I mention. Indeed, that picture was worth more than 1000 words! Thanks!

I don't think you mentioned how long the 4x4 is, which affects the answer.
However, I think this is a prime opportunity to get in touch with your inner Neander, grab the handsaw and go for it.
jc

Here is the methodI would use.
1. First draw sharp lines, even use a knife to define all cuts both shoulder and cheek etc so you end up with a shoulder line around 4 sides of the piece, cheek lines on two opossing faces and lines across the end grain showing locations of the end of the tennons.
2. On my router table I would install the smallest straight bit I have. Then using a fence I would adjust for maybe 1/4" deep cuts aligned to the correct faces of the cut lines setting up a stop block so all cuts stop at 3 1/2 exactly at the shoulder mark. Do slots on two opposing faces along the edges of the tennons.
3. With slots now cut on two faces defining the edges of the tennons, use a bandsaw (if you are good with a bandsaw and can trust your setup), or use a hand saw (I would do this) and saw along the correct face of the slots to the shoulder. Take your time and think about Noah.
4. Hand cut the shoulder cuts on the two outside pieces. You could router these first on the table if the 4x4 isn't two long or use a an edge guide and free hand it. Use a backer to avoid blowout at the exiting edge.
5. Drill out, with a single appropriatly sized drill or fostner bit, the inside drop pieces drilling about 1/8" bach from the shoulder line. Go slow and with light pressure to avoid drift. Then clean up those two interior shoulders with a chisel.

Sorry, single interior shoulder, I was thinking triple tenon I guess.