Dewalt Planer jammed

I closed up my house up north for 2 years, and then came back to do repairs. Another year went by before I got to unpack my Dewalt DW733 planer. I discovered 2 problems:
1: The head lock wouldn't lock 2: The head could not be moved up or down (the crank was ineffective).
The head lock problem was resolved with some mariner's jelly and WD40. The head raising/lowering issue is still a big issue. I managed to sand off the 4 guide posts that it slides on enough to clear the path, but it still won't move past 1/4" up or down. Half a can of liquid wrench and lot's of tapping on the part where the head is joined to the guide posts, but still nothing. This stinks. Do I need a pro, or can anyone suggest anything further?
Thanks for your advice. Boy am I needing it.
javelin wrote: > I closed up my house up north for 2 years, and then came back to do > repairs. Another year went by before I got to unpack my Dewalt DW733 > planer. I discovered 2 problems: > > 1: The head lock wouldn't lock > 2: The head could not be moved up or down (the crank was ineffective).
<snip>
Call DeWalt, they will walk you thru the fix.
Had the same problem.
You remove some parts and throw them away.
Hope you still have the manual.
Makes life easier.
Lew
Thank you for the advice. I do have the manual. However, could you give me some hints as to what must be done? Maybe I can do it on my own. I hate to wait on "eternal hold", and tech support lines are known for this.
Thanks again, Lew. J
Lew Hodgett wrote:

javelin wrote:

Me too! Got the same problem. It goes down, but have to use a pry bar to get it to go up. Fred

Fred:
Sounds more like yours is a spring problem. The big springs on the threaded columns are supposed tohelp "push up" the head as you crank it (counter clockwise, I think). Maybe they are worn. I don't think a prybar is a good idea anyway, you may scratch/dent the chromed material table.
I ended up removing the botttom plastic cover (6 small screws), then the side steel columns. I only removed 2 at a time so the head could be partially supported as the machine lay on it's side. I also only loosed them a few turns so I could tap them, and they would put pressure on the columns, pushing them out of the socket. This also took lot's of lubricant (I used Liquid Wrench), and I had to loosen the screws on the small metal bracket that connected the head lock to the columns I was trying to remove.
After I removed the columns, I sanded them down, lubricated some more, and replaced them. It was a nightmare that took a couple of days.
I wonder if this is documented by Dewalt. I never even checked.
Well, I hope this helps you out.
Fred wrote:

javelin wrote: > Thank you for the advice. I do have the manual. However, could you give > me some hints as to what must be done? Maybe I can do it on my own. I > hate to wait on "eternal hold", and tech support lines are known for > this.
I could try but it will be better if you actually talk to the tech service guy.
Some of the stuff he tells you isn't doesn't show up in the manual.
My hold time was rather brief.
I'd wait till until maybe 7/7 since this is a holiday week.
Lew
OK, I got it to work. The prblem was that the rust build up was so bad on 2 of the columns, there was no getting it off without brute force. I had to take off all 4 columns (2 at a time so I wouldn't damage the threaded center rods), and clean them off. The last one was the worst, and I actually damaged one end. I was able to flip it and use the other good side down, since both ends take the same exact screw type.
Long story short, I am one step closer to planing again. This coming weekend I'll try again.
Thanks.