Delta DJ-20 question...

Hi, I was trying decide whether or not to spend the dough on a Delta DJ-20 8" Jointer.. The latest ToolCrib catalog has it on sale for $1299.00.. Well, I recently looked on the Amazon website, and found that it is actually $1234.99! Does anybody know why this is? The other day I checked and the website did say $1299.99. Is Amazon playing with the prices? Or is the regular DJ-20 going to get phased out? Also, I called Delta to see what kind of difference $300 gets me between the regular DJ-20 and an X5 DJ-20.. They told me the X5 gets you a free tool (or $50), a coupon book I probably will not use, zinc-plated knobs, and a 5-year warantee. That's it... Am I missing something here? What does going with the X5 version really get me? It doesnt seem worth the extra $300 (well, now $364). Any opinions?

thanks

Reply to
Karl and Steph

Lately, they've been doing "Friday Sales".

Maybe this is one of them?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

A 5 year warranty (vs. what? for the old model) could well be worth it, if you have any problems down the road.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I have the DJ-20 and I'm very satisfied with it. It always seems to be "right on." Both Tool Crib and Amazon are good companies. You may want to check out the delivery terms, guarantees, customer satisfaction, etc. The painted levers on the DJ-20 seem to be fine. Not sure about the $300 tool--a useless tool is not worth having. The DJ-20 is a heavy sucker, don't get a hernia.

Reply to
Phisherman

yup.. I think it was a "Friday Sale"... The price is back up to $1299 this Saturday morning..

I ordered it last night, so I saved a little cash :)

thanks

Reply to
Karl Fritz

Amazon is clearing out the old (non X5) DJ20's.

One of the options for a free tool is the PC 690LR router. Figure about $150 retail. That plus the $100 delta bucks at the last NoCal woodshow sealed the deal on my DJ20 X5.

It's a big puppy, and heavy. Get some friends to help with assembly.

Comes in two pieces - the base (w/ motor and electricals) about #130. The jointer itself is packed in a crate, about 6'6" x 12" x 16" and weighs in well over #300. We used a floor jack to raise the crate to a point level with the base and slid the jointer from the crate to the base. Be very careful doing this; add supports to both ends of the crate as you jack it up to prevent tipping (we used lengths of 4"x6" DF stock, stacking as we raised).

The cutters were adjusted perfectly out of the crate. Both tables were coplaner with no sag. The fence was straight. Happy camper,

2bsure. Beats the old JJ6-CS hands down.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal