DC remote???

I know nothing about electrical loads, etc. so I bring this question to the forum. Can those christmas light remote controls be used on dust collectors? Presuming a 15A DC running on a 20A line, what are the consequesnces of using an 8A remote? Thanks as always.

A fire?
Buy the right equipment for the job. You can get a Long Ranger or you can get appliance modules from Smart Home. They have 22V modules also.
Geo said:

Early, even instantaneous, failure of the remote and possibly a fire. False economy to save $50.
Greg G.
You would let the smoke out of it for sure.
Marv

Marvin Wheeler said:

Marv, that would be the Magic Black Smoke... ;-)
Another important consideration is that most of these Chinese Christmas Light Remote things use a Triac for switching the lamps. Not appropriate AT ALL for switching motor loads. They cost about $3.00 to build, and are not worth every penny... <g>
FWIW,
Greg G.
Geo wrote:

Be sure to have a couple of working smoke detectors in the shop before using those wimpy remotes.
Why not pick up a Shop Fox remote (price), or other remote intended for the load of a DC?
Dave
X-10 3 prong tranceiver unit and a keychain remote will work great. I believe the appliance module is the TM765 but not sure anymore.
Alan

Smoke. Fire. Mayhem ensues.
scott