CLASSIC CROSSBOW

http://www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/issues/089/089-092-01.htm
I would hardly call this a "classic" crossbow. But, it does seem it would work. Scale it up a bit, freeze some cats, and you wouldn't have to worry about ammunition.
JOAT I don't believe in reincarnation. I used to, but that was in another life.
J T wrote:

I wish gramps would have given me his plans for the one he built with a model A leaf spring.

I just _bought_ such a spring assembly at an auction, for just this purpose...
Dave Hinz wrote:

Do you have plans for it?