Chair tenons and dowels

My son and DIL have an inexpensive dining table set, one of the chairs has two strechers that have broken off at the tenon where the it meets the leg. I am thinking of cutting the tenon off and drilling a hole for a new smaller tenon to be made from a dowel and filling the leg with a larger dowel and drilling a new hole to fit the new dowel. Is this a workable idea? Or am I just asking for trouble? If anybody has any other, or better ideas I would love to hear them. larry in Cinci

leg.
smaller
loose tenons
Replacing with a SMALLER dowel is asking for it to fail again SOON
John
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:53:53 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"

I just made a new stringer for a chair made for Ikea in Asia from wood with NO strength at all! Fingernail would seriously dent the wood much more than any dowel I've seen.

(snip)

am I

would
Charlie I don't understand what you are trying to tell me. Please explain some more about what your idea is. Thanks Larry
Greetings,
Better people than I in this group can give you a better answer, so wait for their advice before you follow mine.
Use a dowel at least as large as the existing tenon. Drill a hole in the existing tenon to remove as much of it as you can. Use a small chisel or screw driver to remove the remaining wood. Soaking the joint in water may loosen the glue and make removal easier.
Also, consider drilling a hole just big enough for a wood screw and using it as a handle to pull the stub out after soaking the joint with water to loosen the existing glue.
Before you invest time and money in this, check the price of a replacement chair from a second hand store, discount store, and Home Depot and Lowe's.
Sincerely, Bill Thomas