Care and feeding for old table saw?

Page 2 of 2

Thanks everyone for the comments. So far I've started sanding the top, and it's cleaning up very easily, except for some blotches of what look like paint. To address some things that have come up here and on my own:
- I have the crank for the tilting table. I dont plan on doing anything that fancy with it yet though. The current plan is to start off slow, and use it to cut wood for shelves. - I have the original miter sled, but for some reason it was off on a shelf somewhere when I took the pictures. - It weighs a hell of a lot. I can barely lift any of it. I dont remember how I got the table saw up on the stand after moving it here (I've had it set up for about a year), but I bet I was in pain for a few days after that. :) - I've fired it up to see how it runs (just the saw, the jointer still isnt hooked up). I think theres some vibration in there somewhere, but I'm hoping that's all from the belt - it's torn to hell and I forgot to measure it before I went shopping today. - Also, the sheave at the top end of the belt keeps wanting to slide off the end of the shaft when it's running. It's held on by a set screw, but so far no amount of tightening as helped. I'll need to find a solution for that.
I'll do some more fooling with it in the morning.
Joe Bott wrote:

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 10:04:02 GMT, Joe Bott

Try a second set screw on top of the first. A jam screw, as it were.
However, if you're not even getting a grip with the first one, that may not be enough. Simple solution is to file a flat on the shaft and set the screw onto that. More complex is to have a keyway milled on the arbor and change out the sheave for one with a matching keyway and then mount a key in the assembly.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

or get a pulley that clamps to the shaft. they are a bit pricey but do the job.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I think I've got this solved, but I havent attempted to go the store today. There is already a keyway, and I assumed that the set screw was at least hitting the bottom of the notch in the shaft. But the screw is wider than the keyway, so it was only making contact at the outer ridges. So as soon as I find a real key, I should be set there. Until I took it apart, it didnt look like it had a real keyway - just a slanted notch that the set screw sat in.
I've pulled out the arbor, and the bearings feel like they could use a bit of help but they're pretty good. I dont have a press so I'm going to leave them alone for now.