Can you make a plunge cut with a router?

I need to make a shallow (1/2" to 1" deep) depression ( about 2"x2") in a solid block of wood. Can I make a plunge cut with a router to get that depression. Does not need to be extreemely accurate...just need a void behind a face sheet that will be applied. If so, what kind of bit would be needed? If not a good idea, what other options do I have? Gouge it out with a Dremmil? Paul D

Many router bits can make plunge cuts, but not all. Just make sure you get one that is designed for it, such as one of these...
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pF173&cat=1,46168
You're talking about hogging out a lot of material. Go slowly and make sure the chips get cleared out and the bit doesn't overheat. You might want to get down to that 1" depth in several shallower passes.
Another possibility would be to remove most of the material with a series of overlapping holes from a fostner bit in a drill press, then clean up the edges with a chisel. It will probably be a lot easier to control, i.e. a lot less likely to generate an "oh, shit!" moment as the router bit decides to go careening off in a direction you didn't expect.
On Mon, 08 May 2006 01:23:31 GMT, "ppdavid"

Or a hammer and sharp chisel. Or a combination: take out most with the chisel and then finish with the router ..straight bit ....carbide ... use a jig if your hands are shaky.
It would be a lot quicker to drill a hole to depth in the center and hand chisel the depression with a gouge than to fool around building and setting up a jig for the job. If you needed a hundred of them, it would be a different story. Bugs