Cabinet door construction

I am making my first cabinet door (18"x18" corners not mitered). Since the top rail (cherry) will be 2 1/4" and the botton rail 3", I was thinking of using a 0 biscuit at the top and a 20 biscuit at the bottom.
For the panel, I was going to veneer both sides of 1/8" plywood with bandsaw veneer(rails are 3/4"). Is cheap ply ok, or do I need birch?
For the face frame, I was going to use pocket screws. Since one side of the joint will be end grain, is there any reason to use glue as well?
Any comments? Thanks
Jim wrote:

I use lots of biscuits in my work, but a single biscuit on a high stress joint has given me grief. Depending on the use expected, you might consider a mortise and tenon joint or mortise and tenon with floating tenons.

I use glue on all pocket screw assemblies.

Put a double biscuit in each joint. Cut your first slot with a piece of 1/8" masonite under the joiner, then flip over the wood and cut the second joint. It is important that all pieces be the exact same 3/4" thickness for this to work properly. A double biscuit done this way works very well.
--
Rumpty

I'd biscuit the face frame together too.
--
Rumpty

I'd use glue on the face frame joints, and pocket screws in addition to the glue. Not glue in addition to the pocket screws. :-)
Brian.