Cabinet door construction

I am making my first cabinet door (18"x18" corners not mitered). Since the top rail (cherry) will be 2 1/4" and the botton rail 3", I was thinking of using a 0 biscuit at the top and a 20 biscuit at the bottom.

For the panel, I was going to veneer both sides of 1/8" plywood with bandsaw veneer(rails are 3/4"). Is cheap ply ok, or do I need birch?

For the face frame, I was going to use pocket screws. Since one side of the joint will be end grain, is there any reason to use glue as well?

Any comments? Thanks

Reply to
Jim

I use lots of biscuits in my work, but a single biscuit on a high stress joint has given me grief. Depending on the use expected, you might consider a mortise and tenon joint or mortise and tenon with floating tenons.

I use glue on all pocket screw assemblies.

Reply to
Richards

Put a double biscuit in each joint. Cut your first slot with a piece of 1/8" masonite under the joiner, then flip over the wood and cut the second joint. It is important that all pieces be the exact same 3/4" thickness for this to work properly. A double biscuit done this way works very well.

Reply to
Rumpty

I'd biscuit the face frame together too.

Reply to
Rumpty

I'd use glue on the face frame joints, and pocket screws in addition to the glue. Not glue in addition to the pocket screws. :-)

Brian.

Reply to
Brian