Book Buying On eBay

Page 1 of 2
I regularly buy books of various sorts. I get a few off of eBay, out of print books I can't find anywhere else. Mostly I just cruise eBay to get titles of books I'd be interested in buying, then check my list of on-line sellers to see if I can find what I want.
Recently I found two books on eBay I was really interested in. I was tempted to bit on them, until I saw who the seller was. I've dealt with this seller before, with unhappy results. Long story.
Anyway, the first book was one I was very interested in, so started looking thru the on-line sellers. Finally found the book. Took awhile, because the eBay seller did not use the actual title of the book. I bought the book on-line, new, and paid about $15 less than the guy's starting bid, and the price I paid included postage. The guy was asking a substantial amount for postage over what media mail would cost. The kicker is, apparently the guy is drop-shipping.
The other book I wanted was offerred by the same seller, same tactics. Title he was using is totally not like the actual title. Took me awhile to run down that one. I ordered a copy of that one for about half what the guy's opening bid wa for, and my price was including postage. Little weasel apparently drop-shipping - again.
I think that particular seller, and probably more, are just drop-shipping. That's irritating as Hell. But, I did get put onto two books I wouldn't have kown about otherwise. I wound up paying close to $40 total, including postage, for these two books. Which is about half the price the weasel was wantingfor opening bids, not including shipping.
Both books are on marine steam. Haven't got the second one yet, but the first one does also cover several really neat wooden models too. There's the wood connection.
I also got a book on wooden boa building the other day - used, for around $7-8, including postage. Just gotta shop around. I love books, you can flip back a few pages and take another look at a paragraph, or a picture, maybe stick a bookmark in place. Don't have to have electric to read it either, just a decent light source. Try that with a 'puter during a power outage.
eBay is fine for a lot of things, but you've got to watch what you're buying, and got to watch what they're charging for shipping.
You've got to check the current selling prices of book too (or whatever) before y9u bid on eBay. Recently I just lost out on a two volume set of books on steam. If I'd have bid a few $ more I'd have gotten them for about $50 for the two, not including shipping. I checked a bit too late and found out the lowest price for the two with the on-line sellers was about $80 for the pair - and up. Ah well. But quite awhile back I got a book on-line about woodworking jigs for about $5 - including shipping.
JOAT Bugrit. Millennium hand AND shrimp.
J T wrote: There's the wood connection.

And I thought they were made of feathers. Little did I know. Yeah, I know what you meant, just couldn't resist.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Pardon my ignorance but what is drop-shipping?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop-shipping
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

And has been in use for decades sans computer, if not longer. I'm thinking around the time of the first mail order catalog in the US - 1744.

Thu, Jan 25, 2007, 9:46pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (sweetsawdust) doth sayeth <snip + shipping. The latest thing in Web business, no inventory needed, no warehouse space, just a computer and a web site.
Yeah, and no ethics needed either. I was checkng eBay again for interesting book titles - so I could check te on-line book sellers. Found one I'd just got a copy of for about $18.50, including shipping. The starting bd was only $10, which is a really great price fo that particular book. But the shipping was $10. Just a couple of bids would put it beyond a reasonable price, what with te shipping cost.
I also ran across the weasel I'd mentioned before. Another book, starting of $39.95, not including postge. But he jumbled the book title up, so it sounded like a different book altogether. Try and convince me that's ethical. I don't recall what the shipping was, but I'm sure he padded that too, h always did so I doubt he'll change.. Media rate isn't that much. I finaly figured out what book he was selling, or trying to, and got a copy from an on-line seller for $28.50, including shipping - not a bad price really, as it' usually is listed at waay over $30.
JOAT Bugrit. Millennium hand AND shrimp.

Try the used copies on Amazon. Usually fairly good prices and the shipping fee is Fixed at $3.49 for all books and all sellers - media rate. You Can get faster shipping for a higher but similarly fixed rate. I've bought and sold used on Amazon and I'm pretty satisfied.
Fri, Jan 26, 2007, 6:48am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (LobbyDosser) doth sayeth: Try the used copies on Amazon. Usually fairly good prices and the shipping fee is Fixed at $3.49 for all books and all sellers - media rate. You Can get faster shipping for a higher but similarly fixed rate. I've bought and sold used on Amazon and I'm pretty satisfied.
Amazon is already among the sellers I check. If I've got a choice I'll usually opt for a used bok, rather than new, because of the price difference. But at imes a new book is a better deal, often because it's less costly simply because of lower shipping. My latest purchase would have been about $5 more on Amazon. I've also found a lot of places want to ship priority mail, but want to charge more than priority mail would actually cost - a lot of them do the same even with media mail. You sell your books? Shame on you.
JOAT Bugrit. Millennium hand AND shrimp.
On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:10:37 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Yes, one can justify more woodworking tools to build homes for those books, I know I married a booknut. She also does the runs the process of taking an edited manuscript to a finished book.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Hey, it's either that or build an addition and I can't afford to do that. Books that turned out to be less useful than I thought get sold. At least somebody might get more use than me.
Sat, Jan 27, 2007, 12:34am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (LobbyDosser) doth publically admit: Hey, it's either that or build an addition and I can't afford to do that. Books that turned out to be less useful than I thought get sold. At least somebody might get more use than me.
Well, I've got to admit that at times I do get rid of some of my books. Some of them I got long ago, or ones people have bought me mostly - people never buy me books I'd want to buy on my own. I don't actually "sell" them tho. I take them to my favorite used bookstore and trade 'em in for credit - then get more books It's kinda a vicious circle.
Before I buy any books on-line I always make sure I know what the contents are before I buy. That way I have no regrets when it arrives. Usually check by visits to new bookstores and/or the library. Nothing like flipping thru a book page by page to see if you actually want it or not.
JOAT Bugrit. Millennium hand AND shrimp.

Been in That circle!
On Jan 26, 12:23 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

I agree that scrambling the title of the book is unethical. But if the guy wants to pad his shipping and charge twice what the book goes for at alibris.. then more power to him if he can get away with it. Some people are willing to pay for the convience of just logging on to ebay and grabbing it, rather than spending a couple weeks hunting it down. I'm not one of those people either, but some are.
That weasal probably has a lot of auctions that aren't bid on if they are overpriced. Since he has to pay a listing fee to sell on ebay, it's ultimately hurting him if he prices his stuff too high.
Fri, Jan 26, 2007, 11:22am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (bf) doth sayeth: <snip> That weasal probably has a lot of auctions that aren't bid on ifthey are overpriced. Since he has to pay a listing fee to sell on ebay, it's ultimately hurting him if he prices his stuff too high.
The only thing I can say with certainty is, I dealt with him once - and will never do so again, no matter what he offers, what the price, or what the shipping. But he still does me a service in that he does occessionally offer something I'm interested in. Once I see it's him offering tho, there's no way I'd bid. But once I finally figure out the actual book title I go to my on-line seller links and find the book and buy from one of them.
JOAT Bugrit. Millennium hand AND shrimp.
J T wrote:

Ever check half.com?
Tue, Jan 23, 2007, 5:56pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (BARRY) doth query: Ever check half.com?
Matter of fact, that's where I ordered my latest book from. My most frequently used on-line seller link had it as the lowest priced seller.
JOAT Bugrit. Millennium hand AND shrimp.
Check the following likns out when looking for books. They both search several sellers and give a list of prices.
http://www.aaabooksearch.com http://www.addall.com /
Tue, Jan 23, 2007, 6:18pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (AndrewHartung) doth sayeth: Check the following likns out when looking for books. They both search several sellers and give a list of prices.
Thanks anyway, but as of today I've got 31 on-line seller links saved, and most of them do the same - but 99% of the time I only use the same link. http://www.allbookstores.com /
On an extend search I sometimes use every link. But that's usually just for something out-of-print, often with a low printing. Most of the time my usual link does it. Or, occassionally, eBay is the only place to get what I'm after - but that's a last resort, the total cost usually works out higher on eBay.
JOAT Bugrit. Millennium hand AND shrimp.