Black cherry lumber

I have a Black cherry tree that needs to come down, it's a large tree with a 28" diameter. I plan on doing it soon but was interested in the idea of p ossibly having them cut into manageable lengths (still a lot of weight, I k now) and putting the raw timber on Craigslist.
Not just to recover some of the money taking it down but I hate to see it g o to waste. I'd use it for firewood before giving it away.
What do you guys think? Woodturners maybe?
It's the weight that concerns me -- I may not want to mess with it.
mkr5000 wrote:

What part of the world are you in?
--
 GW Ross

 What the caterpillar calls 'End of

Presumably in the eastern half of the United States, or extreme southern Canada -- that tree doesn't grow native anywhere else.
On 3/12/2014 8:45 AM, mkr5000 wrote:

Many possibilities. What do you consider manageable lengths? At 28" dia. it gets heavy fast.
I'd look for someone with a portable saw mill and have it cut up into boards. You may be able to sell it as is to someone that will cut and dry it. You get money fast, but they get top dollar but will invest a lot of time from cutting to drying.

Wood-Mizer (www.woodmizer.com) can put you in touch with owners of their mills in your area.
On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:45:34 AM UTC-5, mkr5000 wrote:

As others have said, mill the trunk into boards, but also cut the limb fork s for turners. Search for a turner's guild in your area. A fork is desira ble because it will have some figuring, more so than straight lengths. Alo ng any straight lengths, any significant blemishes, showing on the surface, may have figured wood on the inside, also. If you are to dig up the root ball, that wood is figured.
Sonny
Great info -- will check woodmizer. Obviously I'll have the tree taken down by pros, most of the tree is straight for lumber. I'll try and get somebod y out here first and them have them commit and ask for lengths he wants -- 28" even a few feet would need a power lift of some sort. I'm in Indiana.

If you're in the Indianapolis area, I can recommend a sawyer for you, someone who's sawn several trees for me in the past.
On 3/12/2014 8:45 AM, mkr5000 wrote:

your best time to cut is winter.
--
Jeff

We salvaged a broken branch off a black cherry tree at my Grandfathers place in Ohio one. It was not a huge branch, but my uncle used it to make some curios and boxes very nice items. I have to say the dark heart it's a unique and beautiful wood. I certainly wouldn't burn it.

cu ft. Both my brother and my partner in the airplane have woodlots and have harvested some black cherry - Bruce Peninsula (Wiarton area) and Huntsville/Parry Sound district. My brother has a portable band saw mill.

How close is that to Kincardine?
Lew
On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 20:34:30 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

2 hours from home (waterloo). 2 hours 35 minutes Waterloo to Wiarton. About 3 1/2 hours to my brother's place in Huntsville district.

Just curious.
Kincardine is such a neat place.
They rebuilt the lighthouse back in the 70's.
When we sailed up to the North Channel/Georgian Bay, we would plan on stopping at Kincardine on the way back.
It was about a 12-14 hour sail from Tobermory (AKA: The Tub) to Kincardine.
Still have a T-Shirt from The Tub someplace.