Bent Laminations

Page 2 of 2

And his love of epoxy may be well founded--in its many formulations it is wonderfully flexible. But I still believe that there are tradeoffs in selection of any construction material or technique, and I'd like to see some discussion to form the basis of an informed choice.

Cagle, in "Handbook of Adhesive Bonding", a well known engineering reference, recommends UF or RF over epoxy for wood-to-wood joints exposed to weather. I don't remember why now and my copy is not readily accessible. However he was writing over 30 years ago and the available epoxy formulations may have improved since then.
Personally I generally use Titebond or PU for the convenience, but if it's mission-critical indoor and I've got a good fit I go for the UF and mission-critical outdoor the RF.
OTOH, I've got an assembly I'm going to glue up with T88 epoxy tomorrow, the reason being that it's outdoors, the temperature right now is going down into the high 30s at night, and T88 will cure at that temperature (eventually) while UF and RF aren't rated to cure below 70 and the rest not below 50.