another hvlp thread

Page 2 of 2
Mike Marlow wrote:

Awww.... shucks!
As for Mike... Somebody asked me to paint an airplane this coming summer, a 1946 Taylorcraft. Since you paint cars, I'm going to need some technique tips!
"B A R R Y" wrote:

That rings a bell.
Has fabric covered wings, or am I confusing it with a Piper?
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Both brands made wood and fabric airframes in the 40's.
"B A R R Y" wrote:

High school classmate and myself built U-Control model airplanes.
He quit building and flying models when he got a job at the local airport (grass strip) after school doing odd jobs.
He would tell me about the inspection process of the various planes.
Turned the money he earned into flying time.
Still remember he told me it was $16/hr for dual and $8/hr for solo.
Soloed on his 16th birthday.
Went on to spend several years in the airforce and then a career as a pilot for American.
Saw him at a class reunion after he retired and he told me he never liked "flying by wire", much preferred the old way.
Lew

It's simple - decide what color you want it, spray everything that isn't that color, and then don't stop until it's all that color. Simple.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Swingman wrote:

Pat, don't wait for the retention of the servers to get you. You can easily search this group by subject through Google groups.
There is some pretty extensive writing from members on from this group on application, repair, refinishing and anything else you can think of with finishing. The retained archives here are a virtual set of encyclopedias of practical information.
Robert
joe wrote:

I do most of my spraying with WB lacquer.
When I spray solvent lacquer, I either spray it in the booth at a pal's bicycle frame building shop, spray it outside, or spray in a barn with no furnace or lights and the turbine outside. In the barn, I use fans to force air into the barn and out the back. The fans move only fresh air.
I have sprayed smaller items in my basement shop, with the furnace and auto-start electrics turned off.
> Any advice on what I should/should not worry about?
I'm not going to tell you not to worry.

In my shop, I have no open flames (actually, no gas line was run. All electric), no auto start electrics. The two things that concern me are static and the lights (6 x 8' flourescents).
jc