Amusing story: spalting starter

Yesterday I was going over some plans with my WW instructor at the comunity college that includes the use of spalted maple for drawer fronts. He told me an amusing story about a guy who spalts his own.
I guess there's a well-known surfer and surfboard maker by the name of Greg Knoll (my instructor is also a mad surf enthusiast). Apparently he makes beautiful handcrafted solid wood surfboards that people by for $$$ and use as art objects. Kinda the Sam Maloof of surfboards. Anyway, it seems the demand for his boards made with spalted woods was outpacing his supply. So, to resolve the problem, he goes out to his wood pile first thing every morning and empties his bladder on his inventory. After about 6 mos. of exposure to high humidity (No. Cal.), nitrogen, uric acid, etc., he's got a good spalt going.
At $15-20 a b.f. most places are asking for spalted maple, makes you think about having another beer.

I'm thinking of a new career performing this service for woodworkers. Any idea what to charge?
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

Four times the cost of your materials ... what's a case of beer and a bottle of 40 mg hydrochlorothiazide going for these days?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

I've been making a fair amount of furniture using redwood from a neighbor's old deck. A lot of the sapwood was spalted. Now I'm wondering what was going on over there and if I should have washed up more often.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Surfers are a breed apart.
On 12 Sep 2004 07:53:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Ian Dodd) wrote:

... and then he runs that through his tools? Wouldn't want to empty *his* dust collector. :-( eww!

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:23:29 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Thanks, but we already had that thread. We don't need to revisit it. ;)
--
"Keep your ass behind you"

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Ian Dodd) wrote in message

Great story-- Hmmm I have about 10 bf maple in the shop