Pics on A.B.P.W.
Coffee table in Ambrosia Maple in Walnut with pegged breadboard ends.
BLO, shellac, Behlens. 4 coats of good old Johnson's.
Legs were cut from bastard-grained stock and cut so that the grain
runs parallel to the slope of the outside edges of the legs.
Breadboard ends and side pieces on the top used stock re-sawn to
"quarter-sawn", rather than left as flat-sawn. In the case of the
breadboard ends, this meant that I glued up two "bookmatched" pieces
for each end. In the case of the side pieces on the top, they
bookmatch each other.
About the best I could do with a digital camera and no special
What I learned this time through that I didn't know:
1.) Shellac's wunnerful stuff. Easy to apply, quick to dry, not too
bad to rub out. (Thanks, Patrick.)
2.) Behlen's Rock Hard is called that for a reason. Rubbing that
stuff out is _work._
;> ("Thanks", Patrick.)
3.) It's worth the expense in time and wood costs to get the grain of
the legs "bastard oriented". I _really_
like the way
these turned out.
4.) In the future, it will be worth the time to fill the little
Ambrosia bug holes in the top with some epoxy. I didn't even think
about it, (maybe I did and I just figured the shellac would fill
them), and now they trap wax. Not good, but not the worst thing
that's ever happened to me, either.
5., and probably most importantly) In the future I need to measure
and calculate less and trust my eyes more. (cf: the 107-foot radius
post a few weeks ago) In the end I eyeballed the aprons and they
turned out just fine. (Thanks, TW!)
Things I learned that I didn't even know I didn't know:
1.) Although I'm pleased with this piece, I think I'm not really a
"shiney-wood" kinda guy. I'm half tempted to strip everything off of
this and go back to BLO/varnish/terps mix then wax, and no rub-out.