alternatives for sealing between rough opening and window and door sills/frames

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 09 Jun 2015 00:15:33 -0500

will try this next time
do you know if you have ever gone past the expiration date
On 6/9/15 9:54 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

I do not recall.
--

-MIKE-

On 6/8/2015 10:30 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

As I mentioned in another post, if you clean the nozzle and application tube with acetone you can use the remainder of the can at another time.
On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 8:40:43 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Acetone is great for a number of things, you just have to be careful as it can melt certain materials. For example, it can soften the surface of some plastics such that the material looses its shine and smoothness after it dries.
Here's a compatibility chart for many solvents vs. various plastics.
https://capolight.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/solvent_compatibility.jpg?w 2&h05
On 6/9/2015 8:22 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

As with any type solvent, it is prudent to read the precautionary information on the can. Acetone is used in womans nail salons. Brake fluid was mention in another post, it will damage paint in a heart beat.
On 6/9/15 8:29 AM, Leon wrote:

I wouldn't use acetone around paint, either. That's what it's removing in those salons. :-)
I like brake cleaner because the tube goes down into the spray foam tube. I keep brake cleaner around for its many other uses. It's a superb degreaser, among other things.
--

-MIKE-

On 6/9/2015 8:37 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

OOPS! yeah sorry, I read brake cleaner as brake fluid. Totally agree with brake cleaner working also. I finally quit working on my own vehicles some years back and no longer have brake cleaner on hand nor do I often visit an automotive supply store or department.
On 09 Jun 2015 03:30:39 GMT Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

now i know but there's no mention of that i could find on the can

and the problem of the expiration date
i took the can that was clogged to see what happened
i put it inside a clear trash bag and punctured the can they are under much higher pressure than a spray paint can
but the interesting thing was that it did spray out some foam but a lot that came out was just liquid so i think it really was expired
this was before i noticed that they had an expiration date on the bottom
On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 10:55:26 AM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:

...snip...
Assuming you are talking about Great Stuff...
I don't have a can to look at, but their website is pretty clear about the one-time use aspect - not that I'm suggesting that users should have to go to a website before using a product. I agree the label should list this ver y important fact. I've included some quotes below, but first there is this from:
http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDOWCOM/dh_08bd/0901b803808bd09 1.pdf?filepath=styrofoam/pdfs/noreg/179-07324.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc
"ACCESSORIES Using one of several PRO Series foam dispensing guns simplifies the applica tion of GREAT STUFF PRO(tm) Window & Door. In addition to enabling pinpoint application control, an airtight and moisture-tight seal between the gun a nd the can prevents the foam from curing and blocking the dispensing valve, allowing a can to be reused. GREAT STUFF PRO(tm) Gun Cleaner simplifies cl eanup of uncured polyurethane foam from dispensing guns."
If a consumer has a lot of gaps to fill and can't get them done in a short amount of time, perhaps buying a gun might offset the cost of throwing away cans that are only partially used.
e.g. eBay carries a "complete set" for $92 - 6 cans of Foam, a gun and a ca n of cleaner
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/190915153900?lpid &chn=ps
As far as the one-time-use "warnings" these are from the Dow websites.
http://greatstuff.dow.com/directions-and-safe-handling/
"Can will seal itself shut if allowed to sit unused for over two hours and may not be restarted. Expect one-time use."
http://greatstuff.dow.com/faq/
"Can I store GREAT STUFF(tm) if I don't use the whole can? The GREAT STUFF(tm) foam straw will seal itself shut if left sitting for mo re than two hours after its last use. Inserting a pipe cleaner sprayed with oil lubricant into the applicator straw may prolong the life of the produc t. But it's better to plan ahead, identify and list all possible applicatio ns before using the can. The Air-Seal Audit Checklist can help."
If that info is not on the can, it should be.
On 6/9/2015 9:49 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

There is a good chance that the product mixes as it exits the container. Puncturing the can probably released one of the parts that might mix, hence it did not foam. I have had cans last for years if properly cleaned after use. Not totally unlike two part epoxy.
Poly Foam Caulk Rope
john
"Electric Comet" wrote in message
i used the usual low expansion foam from a can and was reminded my love hate relationship of that stuff
my first mistake was to not use up the entire can at one time and i tried using it the next day but no go
tried with a new nozzle from another can too
the job is done now but i wonder if there are alternatives to this foam the product was a dow product
i would not mind something that expanded really slow or even a two part solution from cans or tubes
On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 9:46:44 AM UTC-4, jloomis wrote:

Are you referring to Backer Rod, also sometimes referred to as Poly Foam Caulk Saver?
You stuff it in the crack to keep regular caulk from going too far into the crack. The goal is to create a dead air space which acts as the insulation.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_127194-1410-C23H_0__?productId010567
On 6/7/15 10:31 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

One of the most important functions of backer rod is to allow caulk to expand and contract without pulling away from one of the two side its bridging. Caulk has to act like an accordion between the two surfaces to which it's attached. If it's connected on 3 sides or put on too thick, it will pull away from one surface when it contracts. If it's only attached to two surfaces and isn't too deep, it will be able to shrink and expand like an accordion. The foam backer allows this.
http://emseal.com/Knowledge/Hour-Glass/Sealant-In-Tension-hour-glass-shape.htm
--

-MIKE-

Foam Rope can be used solely for insulating.... No caulking needed. john
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Are you referring to Backer Rod, also sometimes referred to as Poly Foam Caulk Saver?
You stuff it in the crack to keep regular caulk from going too far into the crack. The goal is to create a dead air space which acts as the insulation.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_127194-1410-C23H_0__?productId010567
On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 2:34:36 PM UTC-4, jloomis wrote:

ed

he

n.

You used the phrase "Poly Foam Caulk Rope" and then "Foam Rope". Could you please provide a link to the product that you are referring to?
If I DAGS Poly Foam Caulk Rope, the vast majority of the hits are for Bac ker Rod, which is not typically used as the "insulation" itself. There are some hits for caulk rope, which is indeed used as caulk all by itself (sinc e it has a putty consistency) but it is not considered poly foam or even fo am. However, it is also not considered "insulation".
I'm curious as to exactly what you are referring to as "Poly Foam Caulk Rop e".
On 6/7/2015 2:38 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: Snip

You might be trying to read too much into what he is saying. Either way a Google search shows this for Poly Foam Caulk Rope, a product made by Frost King.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/10654894483206802650?q=Poly+Foam+Caulk+Rope&rlz 1CHUE_enUS575US575&espv=2&biw89&bihv1&bav=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.95039771,d.cGU&ion=1&tch=1&ech=1&psi=wqp0VYSYNYz0oASE6YHwBw.1433709250742.5&prds=paur:CmkAsKraXz7YSImRol1QtN8euR-Z4ZLQGtphmiHMvsj0w6WGu4W1fRnwpCBUoVHEbOTijF259eSoa5o5bZA20uiUo9bxdCMes8DvVQm_6vtwSoQ9NY6l13Ykd20FurSOOYxlBtBY2YTh2YgSGQBT1R-9ChB-YXPi__rR3Sjx7zsvAlkesSs&ved AQQpis&ei=z6p0Ve7_GYStogT50YOgBg
I agree with Leon. There are a variety of products that are foam tapes. They work as insulation. That is what the stuff in the can is similar to. I was just trying to give some alternatives to using the can stuff.... Google it, go to Home Depot or a major hardware and they will have bags of the stuff. John
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

You used the phrase "Poly Foam Caulk Rope" and then "Foam Rope". Could you please provide a link to the product that you are referring to?
If I DAGS Poly Foam Caulk Rope, the vast majority of the hits are for Backer Rod, which is not typically used as the "insulation" itself. There are some hits for caulk rope, which is indeed used as caulk all by itself (since it has a putty consistency) but it is not considered poly foam or even foam. However, it is also not considered "insulation".
I'm curious as to exactly what you are referring to as "Poly Foam Caulk Rope".
On 6/7/2015 8:32 PM, jloomis wrote:

Yes and no. They are essentially the same, except that foam in a can will fill every nook and cranny and bond to the structure. So there'll be no air or water intrusion. While the foam rope is only has good as your fit and cut.
Don't use regular great stuff, you need to use a low expanding foam, to prevent the window sashes from bowing.
--
Jeff