Air comp ? OT sort of

Page 2 of 2

How big is your compressor and tank Rich? Sand blasting takes it's toll on a compressor, just like body tools do. It just demands a lot of air volume. Smaller compressors end up cycling a lot, and they generate a lot of water in the process. A lot of siphon blasters won't even pick up sand after a while, simply because of this problem.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

You could always leave the water draincock a tee tiny bit open so water self-drains as it builds up IF you don't have an auto-draincock.
-------------------------------------------------------------------- Unfortunately, the term "Homo Sapiens" is a goal, not a description. ---- http://www.diversify.com Web Design for YOUR Business! --------------------------------------------------------------------
RE: Subject
Lots of storage capacity can solve a lot of problems, especially if you have a small compressor.
A 60-80 gal ASME code vessel is a great friend of an air compressor.
Lew
I have a 60 gal Ingersol Rand
Rich

You have enough compressor there Rich, so gaining a little span between the comp and your discharge line (with proper trap/drain) and using the orange filters, you should be all set. I'm in Central NY and we suffer with pretty high humidity levels here and like I said, I don't have any water problems anymore (besides what builds up in my tank).
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
I think that I am just going to break down and buy some steel pipe. I will run a line straight up to the ceiling then over to the middle of the shop drop it down to the hose reel. But I will attach the water trap to the hose reel. I will also put in drain tubes at the up and down sections with a drain cock. I did find a place local to me to buy the orange bulbs, I called to find out about them and the guy told me that the bulbs contain activated charcoal. They only cost 7 bucks ea..Very small price to pay for no water.I think that after all this I should have a mist free finishing booth.
Thanks for all your suggestions, I am glad this group exists for without it I would simply drive my wife crazy!
Rich Remove the burr to email

Searcher wrote:

FWIW, was at sears today and just for hohos looked to see if they have the orange balls--turns out they don't, but they have a black ball that looks like the same molding and is sold for the same purpose, for 7 bucks. Wouldn't guarantee that it's the same part but looks very likely.

--
--John

Likely, it is the same thing - or at least functionally the same. I've used red, blue and black in the past but over the past couple or few years it seems the orange ones are the only ones I see, so that's what I use. Not sure if the different colors are different manufacturers or what the deal is.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

This is the best solution, especially if you plumb your lines so that you have a trap (similar to the p-trap under your sink) with a drain valve and a bit of a vertical run before you get to your water filter. For many, they just don't go to the extent of plumbing a compressor properly - sometimes because they just can't, so the alternatives like the gun mounted filters make a good second best approach.