45 degree mortice & tenon

Any opinions on the best way to do this? I want to attach a table apron to the legs, which are turned at 45 degrees. This would be a view from the top:
http://jeffmarston.com/pics/45_degree_MT.jpg
I think this is the *best* way to do it, but I don't know how on earth I'm going to be able to make the mortice like that. I don't have a morticer. Right now I'm planing to use a jig for a router table, or a drill press and clean it up with chisels.
Any other thoughts? I'd be willing to use something other than M&T here, but biscuts don't seem like they'd be very strong in this kind of a situation... Maybe dowels like this? It would be a lot easier...
http://jeffmarston.com/pics/45_degree_Dowel.jpg
I have a table saw, bandsaw, drill press, and router and a small, medicore router table. Thanks for any advice!
-Jeff
A 45-degree mortise would be difficult. I'd make a regular (right angled) mortise in the leg, then cut an angled tenon Cutting an angled tenon should be easy with a bandsaw. Most of the time, I cut the mortise first (it is harder to tweak a mortise than a tenon.)
On 13 Oct 2003 08:51:54 -0700, jeffs snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jeff) wrote:

Try using loose m&t..make a 45 degree jig for the drill press, use a chisel to clean up the mortise. The tenons comes in a loose form - simply saw to length and glue into one side or the other..

buy a right angle drill :)

I think I would do mortise and loose tenons here. You still have to cut the mortises, twice as many in fact. The mortise in the stringer ends could be done before the mitering so they would be square on. It shouldn't be a problem to cut the leg with angled mortises.
-- Bill Pounds http://www.bill.pounds.net/woodshop

Jeff wrote:

In this instance I think I would forgo the mortise & tenon and use a mechanical fastener for the leg. A 45 degree angled brace between the aprons, either wood or metal, with one or two hanger bolts to attach the leg to the brace.