110v extension cord sizing

On 20 Dec 2004 02:53:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) calmly ranted:

You're apparently more charitable than I am after reading all the electrical posts over the years here on the Wreck, Charlie.

Given the state of our school grads, I don't know whether to grin or cry about that one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------- I sent in my $5, so *

why haven't I been 'saved'? * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques responds:

A single whimper is all you're allowed. It sure isn't something to laugh about.

Charlie Self "It is when power is wedded to chronic fear that it becomes formidable." Eric Hoffer

Reply to
Charlie Self

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:03:13 GMT, "Mike Marlow" calmly ranted:

The last one I specifically remember being advertised was a 25' contractor's cord for $30 in Ace Hardware in the last year or so. Then again, I haven't really looked into it lately, so perhaps you're right. I'll make it a point to look the next time I'm in a Borg or hardware store.

Yes, the short run is definitely an advantage.

Perhaps you underestimate human nature. Telling someone to get a specific cord, then watching them eye prices and grab the cheaper longer one, precisely the wrong thing to do and against your advice, is what too often happens. I give advice for worst-case scenario and consider it appropriate. Obviously, your and Charlie's methods differ. C'est la vie.

P.S: GWB would have said "misunderestimate" there.

-------------------------------------------------------- Murphy was an Optimist ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 20 Dec 2004 17:03:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) calmly ranted:

Muted or reverberating, please?

-------------------------------------------------------- Murphy was an Optimist ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques responds:

And I've seen a number of other people go the other way: if thick is good, thicker is better, so instead of 10 gauge, they build their own out of #8 Romex. Try carrying 50' of that any distance! And coil and uncoil it a couple dozen times...at which point it may fail.

And for the Iraqi army readiness, he "misoverestimated".

Charlie Self "It is when power is wedded to chronic fear that it becomes formidable." Eric Hoffer

Reply to
Charlie Self

Larry Jaques responds:

No reverbs, please. This ain't no damned redneck bar you're in, you know?

Charlie Self "It is when power is wedded to chronic fear that it becomes formidable." Eric Hoffer

Reply to
Charlie Self

Most of the problems with extension cords is in the plugs, not the cord.

25' of #14 under full load for a piece of equipment with a 5-15 plug (12a) drops about 1.8v. Bump that up to #12 and you drop 1.18v
Reply to
Greg

I wondered about that. Is there a reason that 20 amp outlets and plugs aren't more common?

Mark

Reply to
Mark Wells

Mark Wells asks:

Cable costs more, is harder (slightly, but harder) to wire to receptacles and switches.

Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

Reply to
Charlie Self

There is very little that actually requires the NEMA 5-20 and some things that do, cheat. The code is very permissive about allowing 5-15s on 20a circuits but just be sure to buy the spec grade or better, not the 43 cent one.

Reply to
Greg