Would you choose a combi or a pressurised hot water tank in a small 2 bedroomed house?

We have a small house and wish to add a shower in our bedroom. At the moment we have a hot water tank partially heated by the aga and an emertion heater to give permenent hot water. After speaking to 2 plummers one suggests a pressurised tank and the other a Worcester combi boiler. If we go for the tank we would still have to have the emertion on all the time and replace the existing central heating boiler as it is 15 years old now. On the other hand we may have a few leaks and the pressure of the shower may not be so good.

Reply to
floody

Avoid an unvented cylinder - you need an annual service. A combi is ideal for your situation. Get a high flow rate combi. If you only have showers, and only one shower then 12 to 13 litres/min is fine. If you take baths then 15 litres/min or above is better.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The shower pressure will be much the same fed from either mains (via a combi) or a pressurised hot water cylinder - both will supply high pressure.

If you go the combi route make sure that your mains pressure and flow rate is adequate first and steer clear of the smaller output combis.

If you stay with a cylinder (of whatever sort) you will probably be better off getting it heated by a gas boiler full time rather than relying on the (expensive to run) immersion.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thee are many new two bedroom flats with an unvented tank. However just whether this is what you need will depend on many factors. The Main FAQ may help. +

Reply to
Ed Sirett

If showers are your thing and you have a small house, a combi would seem ideal. If you've got a big house, spare space for a tank and like baths, I'd go for a heat bank. I've gone off unvented cylinders because of the maintenance/safety issues and my experience of my heat bank is that it just works, without the worry that it might explode one day.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

He has a 2 bedroom job.

Oh my God, not again. He can get an Alpha CD50 for under £1000, which will do all the heating and fill the bath pronto (as fast as cylinders), and NEVER run out of hot water and do two showers too. Why the hell should he put space consuming, expensive, cylinders and tanks in?

I know you are only an amateur, but at least try and use some logic and common sense.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

12 to 13 litres is 'high flow rate'. More adspeak from our resident alien.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

True Dr. Drivel, but he also has an Aga, which needs to be attached to an open vented system (if I understand it correctly). A heat bank would allow this, would take up no more soace than an unpressurized cylinder and would provide high pressure hot water. A system boiler could be connected to the heat bank via the primary coil. It seems a neat solution for the OP's requirements.

=20 In view of this, would even you be more amenable to a heat bank?

Reply to
Aidan

It doesn't need to be attached. It be be disconnected from the water system.

Yep. At a price!!!! For a two bedroomed house that is far too great when cheaper bette solutions are around.

It is not. His requirements are slight and an Alpha CD50 will do it and even more, and not take up space and add complexity.

No. An Alpha CD50 looks best at the mo, even a lower flowrate may be suitable if baths are a once a month affair.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It depends if he can find a leaflet about agas.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Aga? I would throw it out. An ugly waste of antiquated space.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Exactly, all that wasted space that could be used to site combis!

Reply to
Richard Conway

cylinders),etc..

Russ, if that what turned you on then fine.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I gather most space is antiquated...I have emailed a question to Steven Hawking just to make sure.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

What did he say?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

For a small house I can't see any point in having a tank of any kind with all the space it takes up. A combi boiler seems perfect for small houses. Using an immersion heater all the time is a waste of money.

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

You've been running your Alpha story for several months now. We're into a new quarter now. They must have a very good promotion running, or did the rep. buy you lunch, a puffy anorak and promises of a week in Eyebyeza next year?

Did he wink at you at all, or did the one bath a month put him off?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, this thread only started today.

Reply to