Wooden Steps

The wooden steps down from my backdoor to the garden below have rotted away and I wondered if anybody had any ideas who might sell replacements etc. The current ones are about five steps and drop about

1.3M

Thanks in advance

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Jones

rotted

easy to make your own. Premade are pretty pricey. Maybe this time use a durable wood like oak.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Might be worth trying

- they do good value bespoke staircases and might be able to help?

You're probably looking at getting one made to order somewhere I'd have thought.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Where abouts in the UK are you?

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Shoreham, west sussex

Reply to
Stephen Jones

Try reclaimed / new oak railway sleepers. Various places round country can supply them. Simon.

Reply to
Simon

Railway sleepers in _oak_ ?

If you do use sleepers to make steps, then do something about the top surface. Decades of treatment with creosote and spilled oil means they're often extremely slippery.

Personally I make outdoor steps like this from larch. Cheap, easy to get, resinous enough to last well. Again, attaching some metallic tread strip can be worth doing although in this case it's to reduce mechanical wear.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

've got untreated stuff. Were you saying, oak is the wrong material ? Or wrong price ? I don't know much about wood, but surely hardwood is better. I was going to get some to make a fireplace.

Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
Simon

I was just surprised they have many oak sleepers.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If anyweher near wesrt suffolk, and wanting old oak beams, say so here.

I've got tons. Literally.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They don't. Teak is one material, and or a heay pine I think.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I believe that many are/were jarra(h).

Reply to