Wood terminology

I keep seeing the term (non-)durability in descriptions of the characteristics of various wood species. I find it confusing..I mean they describe hard maple as non-durable, but then describe it as suitable for flooring.

What exactly do they mean by non-durable?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

Not resistant to fungal, insect or other microbial attack as opposed to wear and tear.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Resistance to decay. The term is a very general indication for a complex topic. Some timbers will rot in one condition but not another e.g. elm kept permanently wet is very resistant, but much less resistant if subjected to wet/dry cycles.

Reply to
dom

Cheers.

Reply to