wood filler

Whenever I use a standard woodfiller to fill holes in wood, I get either a crater effect or a rock solid lump, that doesn't disappear no matter how hard I sand it.

Any thoughts on techniques, favoured products etc.?

&rew
Reply to
Andrew L.

If you are talking about small holes, mix sawdust (from the same wood) with your favoured wood glue to make a very stiff paste and apply this to the holes. For larger holes you're likely better off with plugs. HTH Nic.

Reply to
Nic O'Demus

Would ( wood ) that be electric, bath, core, wall or some other variety of plug . ?? :-) Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Try Brummer, available from APTC, and other suppliers no doubt.

Chris

Reply to
Chris and Patsy

I find ronseal filler is fairly fast drying, and softer than most wood Shrinkage is always a problem. use everal layesr, and a pallette knife to reduce amount of sanding..

When filling balsa wood, I used polyfilla 'no sanding' lightweight filler, as this is even softer than balsa.

Beware tho.... 'er indoors' lifted the pot and weighed it and chucked it in the bin 'its empty' she said. 'It's bloody not' I retorted and took the lid off, to show her.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Try car body filler and/or use wet and dry sandpaper - it's cheaper and does the job.

Reply to
marsden

The Bosch power scraper can be useful for "chiselling" off filler:

out the reconditioned price on the above web page.

I've just been using one of these recon'd scrapers for taking lumps off a bathroom wall in preparation for tiling. Worked a treat!

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at

apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!

Reply to
PoP