Wiring a new bathroom light

Thanks for all your replies - the problem is now fixed. Having removed the old light, which was working fine, and replaced with a new light, which wasn't, the solution was a new switch. Why it should have failed in the short time taken to replace the light, I don't know. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Again, many thanks for all your help. Ian

You're right, it shouldn't have been able to be stuck permanently on. Can't see any way that could happen except for a shorted switch.

Can the OP try a different switch?

Also, were the connections (choc strip etc.) definitely definitely not making contact through loose strands, via the metal casing etc?

Reply to
Ian

You shorted the switch across the live and neutral (remember the MCB tripped). You killed the switch.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Hmm.

The contacts will weld themselves shut if it is shorting (and hence popping the breaker). Did you do that first?

Reply to
PC Paul

The new light is fluorescent, which is a partially inductive load. It places far more strain on the switching contacts than a purely resistive load, such as a standard light bulb. If the contacts were on their last legs, the nature of the load may have fused them together.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You Switch Murderer you!!!! :-) LOL

Reply to
BigWallop

Under BigWallops law, your not normal .

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

ROFL!!!! Yeah, you're right!!! So get all that namby pamby red sleeving off the blacks now, Nancy Boy!!! ROFL!!!!

I actually admire someone that takes pride in doing a job properly, because they are actually becoming the exception rather than the norm' now'a'days. So good on ya' mate.

Reply to
BigWallop

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:36:20 GMT,it is alleged that "BigWallop" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Interesting question, now does the sleeving on old red/black have to be changed to brown sleeving on both cores if and when you change a switch?

Reply to
Chip

now'a'days.

That is an interesting question. I suppose with all the new parts coming in to use, then the new harmonized colours could actually be changed as you go along.

Good point. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

I hang my head in shame.... I think (hope) the switch was on it's last legs. I suspect following the instructions did more harm than good. Let that be a lesson to us all - ignore all instruction sheets! :>)

Thanks again to everyone. Ian

Reply to
Ian

Let's put it down to in-house euthanasia then. :-) LOL

Reply to
BigWallop

I have found enough cases of it threaded on the wrong wire that I never trust it, and it would be better if it was never done IMHO.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

To most who know how the circuit should be wired, then sleeving on things can sometimes be confusing. I bet you're like many Andrew, who see a different coloured sleeve and stop for a second or two to make sure it's the wire that you know it should be underneath. :-) Always best to make sure. eh?

Reply to
BigWallop

speaking as a qualified electrician ,

switch lives should always be flagged , if a cable is flagged red , and you change the switch , you don't need to flag it brown ,

if installing a flourescent fitting in a bathroom it must be vapour proof .

if you don't know what you are doing employ someone who does .

Reply to
Tony