Wire Two Chime in Parallel

Hi, Could someone please provide guideline or a wiring diagram for wiring two door chime in parallel using a power transformer.

The chime I have selected will require a tansfomer rated at 8V 1A so if I am using two than I should buy a transformer with output rated at

8V 2A

Many Thanks for all your help.

Best Regards

Reply to
Mo Thanku

Eh? Each chime box takes 8 Volts at 1 Amp, and, if they are wired in parallel, they'll still each only take 8 Volts at 1 Amp. The push button would still only make and break the one wire. The 0 (zero) Volt wire would still be connected to the 0 (zero) Volt terminal at the transformer. The only thing you're extending is the wires from chime box to the other. They're both wired the same way.

Chime Box One: Transformer to bell push. Bell push to one terminal of chime box. Other terminal of chime box back to the other terminal of the transformer.

Chime Box Two: One terminal from Chime Box One to same terminal of Chime Box Two. Other terminal of Chime Box Two back to the other terminal of Chime Box One.

Reply to
BigWallop

Double-eh! If one load really took 1A, then putting a second identical load in parallel would indeed draw 2A. Each load wants to pull the full current to which its resistance entitles it, power supply permitting.

That said, it's hard to imagine that chimes would really pull a full amp each - hard to imagine that a full 8W input is needed to make a metal bar move hard and fast enough to hit the chime rods; so the OP will probably be OK with a wimpy 1A transformer. Rather than speculation, a momentary lashup will reveal whether the one transformer can run both chimes without a reduction in loudness or reliability...

Other than that, the "wiring instruction" are fine, boiling down to "parallel means parallel" ;-)

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:49:37 GMT, "BigWallop" strung together this:

Erm, yes well. I'd like to see that proven.

What 0(zero) volt wire? Doorbells are AC.

I think I kind of get this bit, well done!

Reply to
Lurch

On 22 Nov 2004 13:57:40 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com (Mo Thanku) strung together this:

Buy a friedland chime, they have wiring diagrams on the box.

Reply to
Lurch

"Mo Thanku" wrote | Could someone please provide guideline or a wiring diagram for | wiring two door chime in parallel using a power transformer.

Single chime (the terminals will not be labelled ABC, but it should be fairly clear which is the common terminal A not connected to the chime coil).

0---------------------------A----------TRANS ~ Push 0---------------------B C---TRANS ~ | | |-CHIME COIL-|

Two chimes, extend B and C on the first chime to B and C on the second.

0---------------------------A----------TRANS ~ Push 0---------------------B C---TRANS ~ | | |-CHIME COIL-| | | | | | twin | | wire | | to | | | | | B C | | 2nd chime> |-CHIME COIL-|

| The chime I have selected will require a tansfomer rated at 8V | 1A so if I am using two than I should buy a transformer with | output rated at 8V 2A

Most chimes should be okay running two off a 1A transformer. What chime is it?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They will indeed. But the load on the transformer will be 2 amps.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Looking at the TLC cat., they do both 0.5 and 1 amp trannies. All the ding dongs need the 1 amp version.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Could be painful if they're not in tune with each other;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

"Stefek Zaba" wrote | BigWallop wrote: | > Eh? Each chime box takes 8 Volts at 1 Amp, and, if they are wired in | > parallel, they'll still each only take 8 Volts at 1 Amp. | | Double-eh!

Eh-oh?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It all depends of course whether there are two bells each with its own button or two bells to be rung by pressing one button.

It's perfectly reasonable to want to have two separate bells with their own buttons and run them from one transformer. In this case a 1 amp transformer will be fine as the likelihood of both buttons being pressed at once is quite small. I doubt if anything will break if both buttons are pressed at the same time.

Reply to
usenet

Thank you all for your help. The job is now done. Just used the 1amp transformer and the chime sound fine. Many Thanks

Reply to
Mo Thanku

Tut tut, such talk from an HP engineer! ;) It might worth measuring the current drawn with a meter as well...

If an 8V 2A transformer is hard to get, another way would be to get a

16V 1A transformer or 2 8V 1A transformers and wire it all in series instead (just to confuse things...)

If using 2 transformers in series, check the combined output voltage to ensure they're in phase and not cancelling each other.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Sorry just something is bothering me on connection of transformer to main. What type of cable should I have used? Should it be connected by mean of Spur should the fuse in spur be 3amp or 5amp. AT present I have just taken some wire of old extension for the main connection

Many Thanks

Reply to
Mo Thanku

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:20:37 +0000, Pete C strung together this:

I get the feeling the OP won't have the full compliment of test equipment, as he is trugling with wiring up a doorbell!

Where's this 16V come from? If an 8V 2A transformer is hard to come buy two 8V 1A transformers and wire them in parallel. Ignore the 16V bit.

Reply to
Lurch

It's best to use a cable rated at 5 Amps load capacity (1mm) when wiring a transformer of the type you have. And this should then be protected with a

3 Amps fuse from where it is supplied. The transformers' primary coil can produce a reverse current much higher than its running rate, so a supply cable slightly larger is the best to use for when the transformer is being switched off at any time, which includes during a power cut.
Reply to
BigWallop

Shouldn't really wire transformer secondaries in parallel unless they are matched for the purpose. A few turns difference will result in continuous current flow between them which can overheat them.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

"Mo Thanku" wrote | Sorry just something is bothering me on connection of transformer | to main. | What type of cable should I have used? Should it be connected by | mean of Spur should the fuse in spur be 3amp or 5amp.

If connected as a spur to a ring circuit, 2.5mm from the ring to a fused connection unit, with a 3A fuse. 1mm or 1.5mm from the load side of the FCU to the transofmer.

If connected as a spur to a 6A lighting, a fuse might not be needed - check transforerm instructions. Some will specify a 3A fuse, others the 6A circuit protection will be adequate.

| AT present I have just taken some wire of old extension for the main | connection

??

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Absolutely. If impossible to get a 2 amp transformer, wire the two 1 amp secondaries in series - and, of course, the bells as well. This way no current can flow in a quiescent state.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sorry I should have been a bit more clear.

What I did was cut off some excess wire from an electric extension cable attached a plug to it, with a 3amp fuse and and plug it in the wall socket the other end is connected to transformer.

Best regards

Reply to
Mo Thanku