winer cellar in house with no cellar

Ok, moved to this house recently that is really nice, but comes without a cellar due to flooding in the area (not the house itself). But what to do with 200+ bottles of reasonably fine wine that needs to be stored. Drinking up is not an option = waste of money. The obvious answer is a wine fridge. But they are super large and sturdy and still only provide limited storage. For my number of bottles they cost around a 1000 pounds, which I would rather spend on some more wine.

Under stairs cupboard seems to be the answer that everybody recommends, but we keep shoes in the understairs as well and as hygienic as we are we would still not want the Chateau Latour (wishful thinking) to taste of my old trainers 8-(( And cork, as wine lover will tell you, is no barrier for most smells (including spice and herbs in the kitchen btw). The last option I can think of is the garden shed. Now we live in the North where temps don't raise very high in the summer; I have no problem to allow the temp to reach 20C or so for a few days/weeks and I have no problem to allow the temp to go down to about 10C or so. But how to achieve this?

My limited knowledge of thermal insulation indicates that it should be possible to get somewhere by insulating a compartment of the shed maybe from the ground to halfway up at the farthest end. That limits the door heat/cold and also keeps temperature reasonably cold, as the ground level away from the sun is rather fresh in the first place. But if I overdo my insulation, then my Chateau Latour starts to pick up the smell of the insulating material. By and large, wine should be stored in reasonably ventilated areas. And here is where my wisdom ends, I cannot insulate against heat yet allow ventilation without some or another cooling device. Or can I?

Fred

Reply to
Fred

Fred

This *might* be an option. Haven't looked at their prices recently, and it's a Flash site so I haven't looked now...but it's interesting anyway...

Bob Eager

What a cool idea. I wish I had the dough for that sort of thing. But paying workmen for four days to dig a hole in my garden is just the sort of crazy idea that I would love to do.

F.

Reply to
Fred

how is it a waste of money to drink it? or is it an investment to resell? surely consumption of the wine is the only real reason to purchase?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

No investment. If I was interested in investing I would only do so with either wine fridge or really well thought out cellar. It's for my own pleasure really as certain wines get much better over time. They don't even have to be expensive, but made to age. I am regularly buying lesser known wines from France, Spain and the New World that improves mightily within about five years. Chateau Latour 2000, which I don't have btw, would go for about maybe 200 pounds a bottle today, but would not reach its best drinking age before about 2015-2020. In that sense it would be a waste to drink now as much cheaper wine would be as nice now and would not need to be opened 24 hours before drinking or so. But the thing is, wine has to be made to keep these days as the times are such that most customers do not want to let wine mature in cellars for years. As I often buy bulk in Calais, I would even get the storage problem for regular wines, but they would suffer less from an understairs cupboard of course.

F.

Reply to
Fred

Dig your own.

We excavated a WW2 air raid shelter under our garden, it's used for storage and is perfect for wines.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It is in our case. I couldn't understand that part of the post either ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

There are wine companies who will store wine for you in optimum conditions.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Someone I once knew had a similar problem and used an old brick built air raid shelter in their garden. They insulated it with about 6in of foil lined Cellotex and excavated about 2ft of soil from inside. Outside they built a deep french drain to keep the floor dry. It was ventilated by a small fan at floor level and a roof vent (I gather passive ventilation would have been preferred but as the original building had no air bricks would have been difficult to achieve). The temperature remained very steady throughout the year changing only very slowly (which I'm told is more important than absolute temperature).

In the absence of a suitable air raid shelter you might be able to do similar by excavating a suitable hole and building a heavily insulated brick structure.

Reply to
Peter Parry

In article , Mary Fisher writes

Our neighbour dug his own in the base of the garage.

Complete with Aircon plant etc..

Reply to
tony sayer

I know a handful of those, to my knowledge they do only offer this for bottles they have sold to me in the first place. And needless to say that if I come home from Calais with 100-150 bottles to be drunk over the course of two year, you need a very local firm in order to make this worth your while. Yorkshire seems to be rather thin on those firms in the first place.

But I am fascinated by your idea to dig one myself. Now the digging is not the problem, trap door included. Stability wise this should not be a problem but how does one tank such a cellar so that rising damp and vermin does not go after the labels, cork; and if you succeed in doing so you would have the ventilation problem unless you just use brick walls, but I suspect that this in turn would get you condensation issues. Had that in the last cellar I had, made the walls look pretty bad...

Fred

Reply to
Fred

An obvious place to do so would be the garden shed. But this one has a backwall to the neighbours. Would digging internally and building up brick walls to keep the hole stable affect the overall stability of the shed? The last, yes last thing I would want is litterally dig in my wine after piles of rubble from a collapsing shed. I am not that keen on storing my bottles ;-)

Fred