Window condensation

I live in a 1960?s semi and we have always had loads of condensation o

the windows, worst in the winter. We replaced the old aluminiu windows / doors with UPVC and while this has improved slightly we stil get misted up with puddles on the sills. Therefore, there must b another cause. We have a de-humidifier that reduces some of th condensation but it can only be in one room at a time.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how we can resolve it? Coul it be anything to do with the damp proof course?

Thanks

-- Gareth Haynes

Reply to
Gareth Haynes

Makes no difference. Just as long as the doors are open through the house all rooms will be de-humidified.

Not opening windows & closind doors when showering. Using those stupid "whirlpool" baths People using radiators to dry clothes rathern than washingline / tumble drier.

etc etc etc.

Sort out the ventilation (or lack of it) and the source of moisture.

??

Reply to
PeTe33

dg means less condensation on the glass, but the draughtproofing means less ventilation thus more damp overall. So they havent helped overall.

There are diagrams of the classic causes of damp online. Things like missing slates, blocked gutters, overflowing downspouts, rusted through downpipes, soil level not below level of interior floor, blocked underfloor vents, pointing in bad condition, flat roof holed, bad door step design funneling water in, leaking drainage under sink, and so on.

Inadequate ventilation also plays a part. Some upvc dg gives no ventilation at all, some does but is inadequate. If youve got 4 people showering every day you need either a lot of ventilation in there, or much better a humidistatic dehumidifier in the bathroom.

no, dont get conned by that lot. Just check out all the usual causes of damp and fix any that need doing. And wait ages for it all to dry out.

Sort it out before you get toxic mould.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Do you have a radiator under the window? If not, I'd consider moving it there from wherever else it is in the room, otherwise you can end up with what I believe heating engineers call a "cold spot".

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Whilst ventilation and your lifestyle are likely to be the main cause, you can't discount moisture evapourating from penetrating or rising dampness.

Any problem with the damp course or water penetration would likely show up as some staining to the walls or carpet

What construction type is the house - traditional brick and inner block or is it a system with internal concrete walls?

Basic condensation prevention would be to fit trickle vents or a wall air brick, and use the heating continuously at low level. Avoid just heating the rooms up for an hour in the morning and when you go to bed. Fit extract fans to the bathroom and kitchen too.

dg

Reply to
dg