Wilkinsons madness.

Got a big decking job after Easter, needs a lot of weed control fabric.

Used the Wilikinsons one before - good & cheap, so I went online to check the price.

£3.98 a roll. Good price - but it got better - 2 for £5.

Ordered 8 rolls online, it tried to charge me £31.84. Went instore on the way home to explain. Lady ordered it for me for store pickup at the 2 for £5 deal.

Next to the information desk was a large rack full of the weed control fabric! But I couldn't have that (same barcode, same product) at the offer price, I have to wait until my 8 rolls come in!

They haven't quite got the hang of things have they?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What people like you need to understand, is that were Wilkinsons to employ staff who were as clever as you clearly are, then they'd need to pay them rather higher wages. Which in turn means they'd have to charge you, the customer, rather higher prices.

Like most retailers Wilkinsons will work to a system. And all their staff will have been trained to follow that system, and do nothing else. Having occasionally visited Wilkinsons stores it would appear that the majority of their customers are MWC - mothers with children and OAP's. And so I very much doubt if their system is designed to accommodate customers who order online at a store, and then decide to change their minds only

5 minutes later.

Similarly I very much doubt if Wilkinsons staff are trained to familiarise themselves with every item in stock, along with any special offers on the off-chance a customer might order the wrong thing online.

Like a lot of people nowadays, you seem to want the best of both worlds. The cheapest possible prices along with a Harrods standard of service. While similarly demanding the right to moan your head off, when for obvious reasons, this simply isn't possible

R. V. Snetterton BSc. (Hons)

Reply to
Roland Snetterton

It gets better.

I went onlione to buy a TV three years ago for imlaws aging parents.

Currys online price 300 quid. Inc delivery.

'Oh great' I said as I phoned them up to check availability 'I'll pop into our local currys and pick it up, to save you the cost of delivery 'our instore price is £350, excluding delivery sir'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To I smell troll? Or just idiot?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Or even 'Do'

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Seeing as only other post was ro alt.test with nym guessits the Tiscali Idiot , Clive/TJ/Robert..........

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Presumably the extra 50 covers lease, building upkeep, wages, training etc.

Personally I wouldn't mind the extra 50 quid if it means I can see the physical TV first and assess picture quality, build quality, what the finish looks like, whether the menu system's completely stupid etc. (i.e. the sort of stuff you can't really get from a photo on a web page or reading customer reviews). It'll be a sad day when shops don't exist and everything's done online.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Quite agree, nothing quite like "kicking the tyres" of a range of the same product to see which ones have stupid design "features" or awkward to use/understand controls.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yeah, normally a crap computerised stock control system.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Great name for a troll though.

Rental Rodent Snot! :-)

John Whitworth

it seems that if anyone criticises or disagrees with TMH (our resident radio star now) he's called a "troll" or an "idiot" - and I suppose we'll have this put with this "stars" antics for a while longer now!

"Well, Don't You Know Who I Am" - will be his next phrase now when he goes into Wilkies, B&Qs or Screw Fix etc and they won't give him what he wants - or roll out the red carpet before he goes through the the doors.

Now that's a thought, he'll have to use his well publicised DIY skills to widen all the doorways to get his napper through now that he's 'famous' - ROTFL

Reply to
Unbeliever

Not sure that makes any sense. I am sure they would pay the same amount for the job position regardless of how bright the person employed in it.

Who did that then?

ITYWF the OP attempted to order online at home. Then when the supposed online special offer did not materialise, attempted to get the same deal in the shop.

Comprehension is not your best subject is it?

Expecting a web site actually able to deliver on a special offer advertised on the same web site is not a "Harrods standard of service" - but just a fairly basic requirement.

How would you feel if purchasing two items in Tesco where they were promoted as "£3 each or two for £5", only to be told at the checkout that "you can't actually have that deal, we just advertise it to draw in customers".

I think you will find its entirely possible for the OP to "moan his head off" ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah yes, Curry's. I find the phone I want, take it to the checkout. He scans in the bar code, says "Sorry, we're out of stock". I call the manager, "Sorry, we're out of stock". They were not amenable to reason.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Jules Richardson wibbled on Wednesday 31 March 2010 20:42

I've never failed to get the internet price matched fully instore (including delivery) but you do need to call the manager out...

Reply to
Tim Watts

That still goes on with PC World (same company). Many things are cheaper on their web site than in store and there is no delivery charge. Used them for quite a few things lately, even a case fan reduced to well under a fiver and postage free.

Reply to
Tinkerer

And then buy online, from the same shop, for less.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q
5va$4e4$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

With PCWorld, check the store has the item in stock, then order on line but choose the pick up from store option. You get the "web only" price.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Mike Barnes gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Last time I bought anything at Currys, it was an iron. Get to the till, and the droid tried to flog me an extended warranty - which cost more than the iron did...

Reply to
Adrian

Which is, essentially, what I and many others do, BUT it tends to negate the purpose of the shop, unless the company run it as a marketing, but not a sales operation.

But really, that's the way it is working more and more 'I'll have to get one in:That's only a display item sir'

I can foresee shops becomein simply non stock holding showcases, with the 'sales assistant' showing you, how to eneter the ionline order, or doing it for you.

My wife doesn't clothes shop in shops anymore. She orders from one or two online shops who are happy to accept returns of stuff even on the grounds that she simply doesn't like it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Via Quidco and save even more...

Reply to