Wiki: Rekey a lever lock

feedback welcome...

NT

There are 3 ways to rekey a lever lock:

*file levers *swap lever positions *replace levers *and arguably a fourth, altering the shape of the side of the lock

===Swap lever positions=== The easiest option for 5 & 7 lever locks is to swap lever positions. The ne w lever arrangement must be symmetrical so the same key can operate it from both sides. If the levers are numbered 1-5 from one side, 1&2 can be swapp ed, 4&5 can be swapped.

This can't be done with 2 & 3 lever locks.

===File levers=== Filing levers makes them rest in the correct unlocking position when the ma tching landing area on the key is deeper.

Its important that the newly filed surface is the correct shape. Where the surface is flat, scribe the lever before filing it. Where the surface is ro und, a twist drill bit can be used to scribe a rounded line a fixed distanc e from the old edge of the lever.

===Replace levers=== New sets of levers with matching keys can be bought & fitted to good qualit y locks.

Having both new levers and old levers opens up lots of permutations to use in future.

===Side shaping=== Denting the side of the lock inwards where the key turns is a basic way to stop non-modified keys operating the lock. Naturally this is only practical with thin walled locks, typically 2&3 lever types, and its possible to rui n a lock by doing it wrong. There's no need to symmetrically dent both side s, keys can be ground both sides to pass by a single dent.

The most controlled way to make a dent is to drill a hole in thick steel or a lump of wood, and place the lock casing over it. A hammer & nail does th e job. Dishing the metal too far can jam the lock, or require so much metal removed from the key that it no longer works.

==See Also==

  • [[Key cutting]]
  • [[:Category:Security|More key & lock articles]]
  • [[Special:Allpages|Wiki Contents]]
  • [[Special:Categories|Wiki Subject Categories]]

[[Category:Doors]] [[Category:Security]]

Reply to
meow2222

Have you actually done this?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Five: Take the lock to a locksmith and get it changed. This has the advantage that you don't need to make your own keys.

Two lever locks can't be opened from both sides with the same key anyway, so it is practical to swap the levers to change the profile.

That would require a much higher skill with a file than many people possess. Milling might be a more practical suggestion.

Certainly the easiest DIY route, assuming that spare levers are available.

This is a form of warding. Not only does warding produce very little security, this seems to be a particularly primitive way to do it. The right way is to braze or weld a sector of a circle to the inside wall of the lock, such that the key has to sweep around the sector while being turned.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

When one of my sheds had only a 2-lever lock I was a bit nervous due to there being some expensive bikes in there. As, at the time, I couldn't do much with it, I put a 8BA nut and bolt through the inside so that a T shape of key wouldn't operate it. I'd discovered at work that 2-lever locks can be operated by a T shape - we had about 20 doors and I needed only 1 key.

It's now a 3-lever lock; I'd like better but it's about 60 years old and matching the sizes is just about impossible. A radical change would mean visible alterations - not good as they suggest valuable contents.

Reply to
PeterC

[...]

Or remove all internals and fit RFID reader internally, operating a solenoi d bolt. Key is now a plastic key with RFID chip glued into it. Lock looks o riginal but no key will open (or damage) it.

Reply to
Phil

Hope the battery doesn't go flat ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

or design it for those occasions when it does :-)

Reply to
Phil

On 09/10/2013 10:16, PeterC wrote: ...

If you have power to the shed, you could use either a magnetic lock or a solenoid operated lock and a garage door opener fob to operate. None of that need be visible from the outside.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Of course he has! Don't you read all his posts and wiki entries? He never sleeps, does DIY 37 hours a day and does DIY courses at his job in the Supplies Department.

Reply to
Onetap

NT:

8><

Jim K :

I did 2 the other day hence the quick article. One got a lever swap round, one got all new levers. The other methods I've used in the past.

Onetap :

in the Supplies Department.

what is he on

Nightjar:

advantage that you don't need to make your own keys.

Get what exactly changed? You don't have to make your own keys when changin g levers, sometimes I've had locksmiths do it.

anyway, so it is practical to swap the levers to change the profile.

mine at the last house could. I've added what you mention.

matching landing area on the key is deeper.

he surface is flat, scribe the lever before filing it. Where the surface is round, a twist drill bit can be used to scribe a rounded line a fixed dist ance from the old edge of the lever.

added that too

snip

Sure its crude, but its a method any diyer can use, its quick & easy and do es the job. The purpose is simply to prevent keys that are out there workin g, it doesnt change the lock's security level significantly.

Colin Bignell:

Interesting, I'm unclear where the bolt went though.

Onetap :

Neither the keys nor the levers are bodged. I've never had that problem wit h diy rekeyed locks. They're no more prone to failure than unmodded ones - actually less so, as I wouldnt bother modding a lock that barely worked.

Thanks everyone, except onetap anyway.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The planet Earth. You should try it sometime.

Reply to
Onetap

Valid suggestion, but methinks too many layers of unreliability.

Reply to
PeterC