Why is one spotdownlighter not working?

My new house is fitted with halogen 12v 50w GUS.3 bulbs. Upstairs there are four lamps in the landing area, one of which has blown. However, a replacement bulb doesn't light either. I have checked the replacement in another socket and it works there okay. Where should I look first for the problem? I have access to the wiring from the loft. Loose connection? How does this type of lamp wiring relate to the traditional ring main with ceiling roses?

MM

Reply to
MM

If they are 12v (Push in, rather then push and twist (GU10)) then they will have a transformer, possibly one per bulb, or maybe several or all of them on one.

Trace the wiring back from the faulty fitting and see if it goes to a transformer on it's own - If so, disconnect a working light, and connect the faulty light to this known working transformer - If the faulty light now works, then you need to get a new transformer.

If the faulty light is connected to a transformer that is also connected to a working light, you need to check the wiring, and/or the actual fitting.

If it is the transformer, then this would be a suitable replacement if it is only driving one fitting

Sparks

Very useful, thanks.

MM

Reply to
MM

Almost certainly a blown transformer.

Remove bulb and fitting.

Chances are the transformer is tucked up in the ceiling space nearby.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've since gone up into the loft to have a butchers, but it's so ruddy cold up there I'm going to wait until the weather's warmer. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get at the trafo through the 'ole.

Brrr!

MM

Reply to
MM