Which Programmable Room Stat?

Page 2 of 2

The average burglar can't read, let alone work out how to get the remaining period off a programmable thermostat. I know, I went to school with most of them.
Christian.
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:38:54 -0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

I think it shows on the display in 3/4" high numbers... Now if that is visible from the outside it is another useful bit of information and one thing burglars don't miss is useful bits of information.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Mine does, but not quite what I remembered.
It specifies a maintaining minimum temp of 55F (13C?), however this is when the house is unoccupied. Unoccupied is defined as being un-lived in for over 60 days .(my previous had a similar sort of thing)
--
Chris French, Leeds

I missed the bit about this being unless you drain down the systems and turn off the mains etc.
--
Chris French, Leeds

I have a Sunvic, which is really slim and quite elegent looking. I'm very happy with it. However, it is missing several features from your list.

Yes. Up to 24 programmed events per day.

No. Hourly granularity. (I like this, many wouldn't).

8 day types. 5 preset (and actually quite sensible), 3 user defined.

Yes. Advance and temp override. No 1-2 hour boost, though, which I miss.

Not that I've found, although you can manually set the "on" temperature to be low and restore this when you return. This means you don't disturb the day settings.
Extra features not mentioned:
1. Best looking (and slimmest) room stat I saw. Elegant, rather than in your face. 2. Premptive logic to turn on heating before set time, depending on the temperature. 3. Display constantly shows the day's programme, in the form of 24 dots which show at a quick glance what sort of day is programmed. 4. Constant display of current temperature, time, day, call for heat, and mode. 5. Backlighting
If the disadvantages don't bother you, I'll try to find the model number. I got mine for 30 quid each from B&Q.
Christian.
Set square,
I have the new Horstmann Centurstat 7 from Screwfix, which has recently been upgraded ( I know this cos I ordered 3 a month ago and got a mixture of the new and old varients, Screwfix changed them all to the new varient as that is the one described in the catalogue).

This has 6.

10 mins.

Everyday can be totally independant, hence no need for day types.

You can temporarily increase or decrease the temp until the next time zone.

at
It doesn't do this, but you can set a temperature and press "lock", which will hold that temp until you unlock it.

looking
wires
The newer flavour of the centurstat 7 allows you to see the current temperature as well as the target temperature, which can be handy.

on
It's working well for me !
Cheers,
Paul.

I find day types a real convenience. Most of my days are similar. Some really bad types expect you to set every single day individually. Others have a "Copy" feature that lets you copy the previous day's. However, I much prefer just defining some typical programmes and then assigning them to a specific day.
Christian.