Where to get toughened glass cut to shape?

I want to make some cantilevered glass shelves for the hifi - a bit like these:

(don't look at the price!) The metalwork is straightforward but where can I get some glass cut to size (about 400x400 with rounded corners) and then toughened? Also, it's easy to work out the bending moment but where can I get the data to calculate whether I need 8 or 10mm?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Dave, Try here

should be able to give you the technical data too.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

You can tell they are for HiFi mugs

"Energy generated by the equipment on the 10mm thick stressed glass shelf is filtered through the carbon fibre to iron out damaging energy - residual energy is then fed into the 6mm thick solid steel chassis and then into the mass of the wall. "

I have seen cantilevered glass shelves in the sheds BTW.

Reply to
dennis

mark

For tpoughened glass it has to be cut to size and then toughened - any glass merchant can do this. The process of toughening fire polishes the edges - not quite as good as having them rounded (which is expensive) but it removes the sharpness.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

If making your own supports check out Flebay for some LED strips to put behind the back edge of the glass. Give a lovely effect through the glass edges

Perhaps they also sell crystals or shields for mobile phones to "stop the radiation" ;-)

Unfortunately I need about 400 deep and the shelves in the sheds are 250 max.

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Thanks! I'd been wondering how to do that and hadn't thought of looking on Feebay. I was going to make something with alternating LED colours so I could change the colour and intensity, but may just get an off the peg strip.

A qulote from one of the adverts: "The light strip can be sticked anywhere you like" ... sooooo tempting!

Reply to
NoSpam

In message , NoSpam writes

Where are you? Got a place less than half a mile from me as the crow flies but obviously no use if you are in Outer Mongolia.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Any glass supplier should be able to arrange what you want. Just phone up a few in yellow pages, etc.

Toughened glass is extremely strong so in practice it will be more down to what looks best.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If he is going to the effort of fitting leds maybe he should look at

and diy a surface?

There is a video here of how to build one in five minutes

dennis

They're very expensive Bob. £51 each for 500x400x8 with two 45 degree corners - supposedly that's the trade price!

I think to get a sensible price I'll need to find someone who has them as a standard item rather than getting specials made. Ikea have got rectangular 10mm shelves but they're a little too small (500x350) for £4.40 for two!!!

I've settled on a min size of 500x420x 8 or 10 if anyone knows a stockist, and I'd be prepared to compromise on the corners at that price!

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

The local (Winchester) people just quoted £51 each so I probably need to find a standard shelf - now needs to be 500x420 min.

Reply to
NoSpam

Whilst long-established and with a generally good reputation, they might not be the cheapest in the area.

Reply to
Rod

I hope it's oxygen-free glass.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

If you can find something 'stock' it should be a lot cheaper. But remember you can't really alter toughened in any way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hampshire

Reply to
NoSpam

£40 each :(
Reply to
NoSpam

In message , NoSpam writes

Ahh, might as well be Outer Mongolia then.. I'm in South Manchester.

Reply to
Clint Sharp