Whats it called . . .

When a new brick/block wall meets an existing wall and a metal contraption is screwed to the existing wall (with metal protruding lugs) in order to tie in the new wall . . . .

I thought they were called profile boards.

Thanks . . .

Tim

Reply to
tzd3sw

In article , tzd3sw writes

Screwfix calls them wall starters, but I'm sure there will be a more traditional name.

?id=41311

fred

screwfix.com:

41311 80625
Reply to
N. Thornton

A builder I know also calls them starters , and if there was a more slangy word I'm sure he'd have used it... Listening to him placing an order with the local builder's merchant took me a little while to figure out what he was ordering.... The only one I can remember was "six o'dust" (Translation : "six bags of cement please")

Reply to
Mike Harrison

They are called wall extension profiles.

Most common trade name Furfix

FrankG

word I'm sure he'd have

merchant took me a little

"six o'dust": codeword for trade discount "6 bags of cement": DIY muppet who'll pay full price??

David

Reply to
Lobster

Me being a B&Q Muppet..... who normally avoids builders merchants like the plague because you can get the same stuff at wicks's for the same price as you pay even with FULL 40% trade discount at T.P.; Found it quite usefull to remember the name of your local building contractor that holds an account at T.P. as on quoting it, the affore mentiond 40% discounts are applied. Which is great as T.P. is about 8 miles closer than Wickes.

:¬)

Reply to
Pet

back and watched the wall damage that resulted. It isnt always a good thing to tie with those.

What happened was a new garden wall was tied onto existing Vic house wall, when IMHO it should have had an expansion joint instead. Predictably the wall moved very slightly, nothing out of the ordinary, and theres a whol load of broken bricks in the house wall now - which was pointed with inappropriate mortar. Result is wall damage thats going to cost at least a days work to put right, and will probably never look good. And of course it may well happen again.

Also they forgot to put DPC between garden wall and house wall... ah well.

BTW isnt is far cheaper to drill some holes and put SS studding in with resin?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton