"What's it all about ... Cor-gee .!" ;-)

Hi All,

I was chatting to my brother in law the other day who has been a builder since his Dad passed the Co onto him some 30 years ago.

He was saying that it was quite expensive these days to get a 'Corgi' inspection of any Gas installs they do.

I didn't think to ask at the time but assuming he is actually doing this work to code already, what would it take for him to become 'Corgi registered' himself (and therefore I suppose, why hasn't he?)

I dare say 'cost' is going to come into the reply (like doing an HGV course) but I'm not sure it is rocket science (well apart from boilers that is .. they both burn fuel to produce energy ) .

Mind you, there was one instance where doing it 'to code' seemed downright dangerous.

They were installing some instant gas water heaters in the cupboards below the workbenches in some sort of school science block.

They vented the pressure release valve pipe thing into the cupboard itself as it had louvered doors so any 'problem' would be instantly noticed.

Apparently, this was rejected by the Corgi man as he said 'it must cause more of a nuisance' and insisted the exhaust pipe came out through the plinth, potentially scalding anyone who happened to be standing there when it went wrong?

I understand why the tank overflow pipe should exit over your front door etc as it would force you to deal with it and unlikely to cause you any harm but 'steam'!?

All the best and thanks to everyone for making this a great n/g ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

This sounds like a backhander job to me! As I understand it, he actually needs to get a CORGI registered installer to *do* the work -- anything else is illegal, if done for any kind of reward.

My dad recently did this. You need first to get an ACOPS certificate, which involves attending about a week of instruction sessions at a recognised testing centre, as well as completing a series of theoretical and practical tests. I think the whole thing took about a fortnight. The theory tests have a 100% pass mark, though you are allowed to re-take twice provided your marks are initially at a certain level (80%?). It's not a straightforward test, either!

I think the cost was around a grand, but it varies depending on which course elements you take. I know he didn't do blown-air heating, for instance, which means he isn't qualified to work on these systems.

The certificate is valid for a fixed length of time -- five years, maybe? -- after which you need to renew it. I think becoming CORGI registered then involves paying them more money to come and inspect some of your work.

Note that this is secondhand info and I have a bad memory, so it may not be 100% accurate in all regards. You get the gist, however... it's not a one-day affair.

Ben.

Reply to
Ben Schofield

Hi Ben and point noted. To be more accurate he has done all the gas side pre Corgi requirement and probably still does 'bit's' where it's practical to do so (like when they are running other services anyway etc. There is a good chance that the Corgi man is there at the same time (or for most of it ) but I believe is in big demand so get's drawn off elsewhere?

Ouch

Someone is earning well out of all this? ...

The 'gist' is fine thanks Ben.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

"T i m" | >> He was saying that it was quite expensive these days to get a 'Corgi' | >> inspection of any Gas installs they do. | >My dad recently did this. You need first to get an ACOPS certificate, | >which involves attending about a week of instruction sessions at a | >recognised testing centre, as well as completing a series of theoretical | >and practical tests. I think the whole thing took about a fortnight. The | >theory tests have a 100% pass mark, though you are allowed to re-take | >twice provided your marks are initially at a certain level (80%?). It's | >not a straightforward test, either! | >I think the cost was around a grand, but it varies depending on which | >course elements you take. I know he didn't do blown-air heating, for | >instance, which means he isn't qualified to work on these systems.

From Falkirk College website:

ACS Gas Safety Courses Gas Training

Working with Natural Gas? Qualified to do Gas Work?

Falkirk College is an accredited assessment centre for BPEC (British Plumbing Employers Council). We offer the Nationally Accredited Certification Scheme (NACS) which is the natural successor to the ACOPS training programmes. To be qualified to perform gas work in a domestic building there is a requirement to take both training and an assessment course for each of the specific work areas.

Training & Assessments - Core Domestic (CCN1)

This assessment is compulsory for all fitters and is the prerequisite for all other assessments.

Length of Training - 20 hours Length of Assessment - 15 hours Price of Training - £399 Price of Assessment - £399 Package for Core Training & Assessment - £750

Options - To work in a house with natural gas, the main appliances are:

Gas Boiler - CEN1 Length of Training - 6 hours Length of Assessment - 4 hours Price of Training - £150 Price of Assessment - £175 Package for Gas Boiler Training and Assessment - £300

Gas Fire (HTR1) Length of Training - 6 hours Length of Assessment - 4 hours Price of Training - £150 Price of Assessment - £175 Package for Gas Fire Training and Assessment - £300

Gas Cooker/Hob (CKR1) Length of Training - 6 hours Length of Assessment - 4 hours Price of Training - £150 Price of Assessment - £175 Package for Gas Cooker/Hob Training and Assessment - £300

Water Heaters (WAT1) Length of Training - 6 hours Length of Assessment - 4 hours Price of Training - £150 Price of Assessment - £175 Package for Water Heaters Training and Assessment - £300

All prices include the following training packages:- ? Introduction Manual; ? Practical Task Manual; ? Knowledge Questions Manual; ? Training Manual and a Video which demonstrates practical gas safety requirements. A number of exercises are also included that allow progress testing throughout the training packages. Alternatively, you may wish to read through the training materials and watch the video and then come along to the College and take the assessments. It is strongly advised that you undertake both the training and the assessment courses as there have been major changes and upgradings since the last ACOPS course.

All prices include lunch, registration and assessment fees.

Course Entry Requirements: All candidates must be experienced gas fitting operatives, or have relevant mechanical engineering/ fitting qualifications and experience. If seeking certification for the first time, candidates must provide evidence of their qualification and an authenticated work record. Candidates must provide 2 recent passport photographs for registration purposes prior to commencing assessment. Please contact the Course Co-ordinator, Ian Morrison (01324 403149) if you require further clarification.

Qualifications: On successful completion of the appropriate assessments, candidates will receive a British Plumbing Employers Council Competence Card stating the appropriate registrations. This Card is valid for a period of 5 years. This Card allows candidates to register with CORGI.

Venue and Mode of Delivery: These courses are available at Falkirk College of Further and Higher Education. All courses are delivered in the gas training and assessment room (001W). All courses start at 0900 hrs and finish at 1700 hrs. On occasions assessments can continue beyond this time, dependant on the client needs.

For information on dates available for training on any of the ACS Gas courses please contact the Business Unit on 01324 403248.

Owain

Well I should hope so too! ;-)

And if you are training plumbers at least 30 mugs of tea a day!

Seriously though, I suppose those prices are typical of such durations etc?

I can see why some general builders might get put off?

All the best .. and thanks Owain

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Any amount of preparatory work (carcassing) is allowed but (frowned on by quite a few). However the connection to the gas meter and all the commissioning work would have to be done by a registered fitter, who would have to be very sure that the others did a good job.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

That's about the sort of money I had to shell out.

Reply to
Ed Sirett