What's a safe reliable and cheap way to call USA?

Hi guys.

Looking for a recommendation here. Need to make a 1 1/2 hour call on Wednesday 11th daytime. Can't use Skype because it's a conference call where I need to enter a code. Never managed to do that with Skype (or can you?)

So what's a reliable and cheap way to phone from my landline. I have a mobile, but can't image that's cheaper.

Very grateful for all advice!

andy

Reply to
Eusebius

1899.com

1p per minute.

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

I have been using TeleDiscount for several years now @ 1p per minute from a UK landline.

Just dial their access number:

0844 861 78 78

then dial the USA number you want starting with 00 1, and that's it.

From a UK landline to USA landlines or mobiles, the rate is the same. It appears on your BT (or other telephone provider's) phone bill at

1.0p per minute or slightly less.

Bruce

Does anybody know if I can dial a number and then enter a code? Since I'm using my landline the keypad on the telephone should be functional, I hope!

andy

Reply to
Eusebius

Yes, that works with TeleDiscount. I have a customer with an automated exchange; I key in the four figure extension code.

Reply to
Bruce

Ah, you mean while the call is in progress you can send a DTMF (touch) tone from your handset keypad. Yup, shouldn't be a problem doing that through 1899.com

On Skype this is also possible. Enter the following in the help search on Skype.com "How do I dial an extension" which will show you where the touch tone pad is hidden.

Reply to
Adrian C

Hi there - that's just what I want but alas, on my version of Skype (Mac) nothing comes up in help search when I enter "extension". Any ideas how I can find this out?

andy

Reply to
Eusebius

I mean't the help search on the skype.com web page!

Never mine. Go here :-)

Adrian C

On the current Windows version it's the icon to the right of the volume slider, choose "display dial pad"

Reply to
Graham.

Ok - I can see. Or rather I can't see since it doesn't seem to be there on the Mac version

Anyone have a Mac?

andy

Reply to
Eusebius

Eureka! It's in the new download! Version 2.8

andy

Reply to
Eusebius