Wet room on new solid floor

One of the jobs I'm on seems to grow like Topsy. Originally it was just a new boiler, then I find out they're ripping out the kitchen so will want services reinstated for that, then they rip out the kitchen floor so in goes UFH, latest is that a rather grotty little shower room which was being left has now been ripped out after all, along with its solid floor. So more services, more UFH, and I'm suggesting to the client a wet room rather than shower tray.

These linear drains seem rather nice

not cheap, I'm sure). Are they the only ones of their type on the market (not counting types you see outdoors)? Any other good suppliers of stuff for wet rooms on solid floors? Most of the systems google finds seem to be for suspended floors.

Any other heads-ups I should know about?

Reply to
YAPH

I've heard plumbers talk of channeling into the solid floor then laying the waste system. Like a pipe within a pipe, sort of thing. I have absolutely no idea why they do that, but they do. Could it be something to do with solid floors being at ground level with little direct access? Could be.

Reply to
BigWallop

YAPH coughed up some electrons that declared:

I've just bought a strip drain, made by ACO (they of pavement drain fame). I thought that was flippin expensive for a bit of welded stainless, but it's cheap compared to what you've found.

was one of those things - this isn't coming out, ever, so might as well get it right.

Construction and fitting theory seem fine and the bottle trap is fully clearable from above as it would need to be.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

BTW - fitting instructions are somewhere here:

Tim S

I built an open shower area 20 years ago, long before the current favoured term 'wet room' appeared. The room is a bit over 1.4m square and has the shower, toilet and basin in it.

The architect sourcing the materials did have difficulty locating a suitable drain outlet but found one that is the size of a 150mm tile with effectively concentric cylinders acting as the trap. I guess he would have looked in the suppliers to swimming pools, etc.

I had the floor laid so that the shower area (850mm sq) was set down by 60mm or so to retain the worst of the shower water in one area. A friend took the idea into her new house but I think the builder made 3 mistakes - he didn't recess the floor under the shower, he used shiny tiles so that there is a danger of slipping in the room, and he didn't slope the floor towards the drain so the area remains permanently wet. I used a floor tile that had a raised pattern on one side and smooth on the other, and also had matching skirting tiles.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

As the head of building control at my council said, fit a low profile shower tray, they are far less trouble than a wet room floor and a lot easier to get right.

Reply to
dennis

I have to admit I uses a bog standard plastic shower trap and buried it in the concrete.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I like it because the 40mm of foam insulation prevents the tiles feeling cold.

Reply to
djc

I don't want that then: this will have UFH!

Reply to
YAPH

still needs the 40mm of foam.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh sorry, yes it'll be insulated underneath (builder prefers 100mm of polystyrene but there you go).

Reply to
YAPH

then you have an intelligent builder.

Which is notable itself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As builders go ;-)

Reply to
YAPH

True. If you have an IQ over 125 you are unlikely to choose manual labour as a career.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well according to one of those online IQ tests I've got about 132[1] but I'm still grubbing around on the tools. I'm sure there are some good, and a few great builders: problem is that a lot of good chippies, brickies and so on gravitate into becoming mediocre builders when they try to take on a wider range of skills than those they're good at; and often also try to organise others into working as a team which is also a separate skill from their natural, technical ones.

[1] but I think the real IQ test was whether you let yourself get suckered in to pay for further tests when they said your free test came out at 132, which it probably did for everybody. I passed that one :-)
Reply to
YAPH