WC soil pipe in loft

I have just moved into a house, built about 1965-1970. The strange thing is that the soil pipe goes into the loft but is then sealed with an end cap, I always presumed that the soil pipe should go out the roof. It does not loof as if the pipe has ever gone outside. The top of the soil pipe looks correct, it looks like it was made be BAA.
Is there a danger that the gas has no were to go !
snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com wrote:

Are you sure it is and end cap? It is more likely that it is an air admittance valve. I thnk there also need to to be a pressure relief somewhere in the system but I'm not sure.
Bob
Sorry for my lack of knowledge but how can I tell if is an air admittance valve ! Does this mean that the gas will escape into the loft and is this dangers and healthy !
Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com writes

If the valve is working correctly no to both
take a look at http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 261&tsc765

--
-- Bill

snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com wrote:

Other way. Air can be drawn from the loft, but not the reverse. Stops loo flushing siphoning the waste traps.
They are one way flap valves.

Bob Minchin wrote:

That's my understanding as well.
Very common to find a durgo in the loft, but there nees to be an 'open end' somewhere.

So how does the gas from the drainage system get out of the stack pipe !
As we are getting a drainage smell in the bath room, sound like the valve is broken !
What is the best make to fit and is it a simple job. Is the gas a health hazard ! and are there testers to check it.
Every 4th or 5th house have to be open vented to atmosphere.

Fit a new air admittance valve, after all this time it make be knackered. They are cheap enough. Is the pipe plastic?

snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com wrote:

or it is indeed a cap!

Push fit. Ask IMM. He knows lots about shit.

valve is

You appear to be doing an excellent job by yourself.

is
cap, I

loof
admittance
the
end' somewhere.
Yes, every 4th or 5th house.

IMM wrote:

Assuming you have more than one house on your sewage treatment plant, and they are spaced closer than half a mile apart...possibly

thing
If you are end of line then open vent.

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:05:20 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I suspect that the logo on the top is BBA (British Board of Agrement) which is the body that certifies building products. If it is there should be a number underneath (yy/nnnn) which if you plug in to the certificate search of http://www.bbacerts.co.uk/frames.html , should come up with a certificate for an air-admittance valve.
--
Hugo Nebula
"You know, I'd rather see this on TV,