WC soil pipe in loft

I have just moved into a house, built about 1965-1970. The strange thing is that the soil pipe goes into the loft but is then sealed with an end cap, I always presumed that the soil pipe should go out the roof. It does not loof as if the pipe has ever gone outside. The top of the soil pipe looks correct, it looks like it was made be BAA.

Is there a danger that the gas has no were to go !

Reply to
gary.holt

Are you sure it is and end cap? It is more likely that it is an air admittance valve. I thnk there also need to to be a pressure relief somewhere in the system but I'm not sure.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In article , snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com writes

If the valve is working correctly no to both

take a look at

-

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but how can I tell if is an air admittance valve ! Does this mean that the gas will escape into the loft and is this dangers and healthy !

Thanks

Reply to
gary.holt

That's my understanding as well.

Very common to find a durgo in the loft, but there nees to be an 'open end' somewhere.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Other way. Air can be drawn from the loft, but not the reverse. Stops loo flushing siphoning the waste traps.

They are one way flap valves.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So how does the gas from the drainage system get out of the stack pipe !

As we are getting a drainage smell in the bath room, sound like the valve is broken !

What is the best make to fit and is it a simple job. Is the gas a health hazard ! and are there testers to check it.

Reply to
gary.holt

Yes, every 4th or 5th house.

Reply to
IMM

Every 4th or 5th house have to be open vented to atmosphere.

Fit a new air admittance valve, after all this time it make be knackered. They are cheap enough. Is the pipe plastic?

Reply to
IMM

or it is indeed a cap!

Push fit. Ask IMM. He knows lots about shit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Assuming you have more than one house on your sewage treatment plant, and they are spaced closer than half a mile apart...possibly

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you are end of line then open vent.

Reply to
IMM

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:05:20 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I suspect that the logo on the top is BBA (British Board of Agrement) which is the body that certifies building products. If it is there should be a number underneath (yy/nnnn) which if you plug in to the certificate search of

should come up with a certificate for an air-admittance valve.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

You appear to be doing an excellent job by yourself.

Reply to
IMM