Way OT _> under cupboard speakers

Kitchen install is nearly complete (thank goodness) but I have encountered a minor snag-ette:

I intended fitting a pair of (car) speakers in the scribing panel that fills the space between the cupboards and the ceiling. That was until we decided that the cupboards should be higher up the walls. As there is insufficient space for speakers above the cupboards I was wondering if there are any that the collective experience of this NG would deem suitable for mounting below the cupboards.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Depends on how Hi you want the Fi. For anything resembling HiFi IMHO don't bother trying to make home brew speakers in odd enclosures, buy a physically small pair from Richer sounds.

£50-£100 as they will sound loads better. Then stand them in a fairly open space either above or below the cupboards. Or you could go high tech with surround sound with a bass unit and 5 smaller speakers from Argos if you have a suitable amp

Rusty

for £50-£100 as they will sound loads better. Then stand them in a fairly

Thanks

Relatively LoFi - at least as far as a room filled with hard surfaces will allow!

As I said: there is NO space above the cupboards.

I don't really think that free standing speakers are practicle in a kitchen tho'.

Ta

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Thanks for pointing me towards Argos.

Something like this is what I had in mind:

Richard

How big a space do you have left in your scribing panel? Linn Sweetspots might be suitable

The Sweetspot fits naturally into rows of halogen downlighters and is simple to install. Measuring only 3.5 inches in diameter and 5 inches deep, the sweetspot unconventionally employs a huge magnet and long voicecoil assembly to produce accurate sound quality, high power handling and a frequency response unmatched at this size. Type: Panel mounted, sealed box loudspeaker Frequency Response: 120Hz - 15kHz Input Impedance: 8 ohms Efficiency: 77bB / Watt @ 1m Recommended Amplifier Power: 20W MIN 50W MAX

they are about £90 a pair.

There are speakers the size of small halogen downlighters for public address / background music which i was trying to find online but haven't yet. Rather more affordable.

Richer Sounds has some small Ariston speakers, might co-ordinate with the washing machine :-) Under a tenner to under £30

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Making it sound as much like a car system as possible seems to be the main aim here so I should think any car stuff would be suit

Uncontrolled frequency response from car speakers would annoy me in the house, where I usually listen on a semi-HiFi, but I can put up with it in the car as there's so much other noise. I think I would tend to use the elliptical car boot speakers with dome tweeters then you get decent bass.

rusty.

Reply to
Rusty

wondering

This could be fun.

Bass drivers require a specific capacity of cabinet for good results. If you pick one that requires the same capacity as the garbage disposal unit, you could mount the woofer in that, under the sink, and have the bass coming out the plughole. Thats what I call space efficient!

Or maybe for the true gurgle-free hifi experience you need bigger cabinets for that nice deep bass: perhaps the under sink cabinets would do. Mount woofers in the doors and put 8x heavy duty latches all round the edges to secure them so they dont rattle in use. As long as you dont need to get to the pans too frequently in there it should be ok.

Of course you'd need to damp the stored pan resonance as well. Rubber shelves would help, and cast iron cookware would probably give minimum resonance. Of course cast iron on rubber could cause a few problems, like extreme sag. And the fact that if you take one pan off, the resulting rebound might be so great as to launch one or two of the smaller lighter items right out of the cupboard. But every hifi nut has to make sacrifices.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Fit directional tweeters up high, and bass/mid range wherever you can find a big volume of space for a soundbox.

Even a 3" speaker will go down to a couple of hndfred hertz or so which is where all teh stero information is.

A woofer goes anywhere.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If access is possible, flush mounting ceiling speakers can give a reasonable sound, as the ceiling acts as an infinite baffle giving good bass.

Dave Plowman (News)

That was my first thought Dave, but I'm a little concerned about any visitor in the bedroom above the kitchen!

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Assuming some form of floor covering - like a decent carpet - they don't actually sound *that* much louder in the room above than speakers elsewhere in the room at the same sort of level.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Good point Dave.

Elsewhere someone asked the dimensions of the scribing panel above the cupboards: between 20 and 30 mm

Richard

Reply to
Richard