Washing machine install (only got a cold feed, washer has hot and cold feeds)

A friend of mine is moving into a new apartment and the slot under the worktop for the washing machine only has a cold supply. Her existing machine has hot and cold feeds. Adding a hot water supply is OTT as when she gets settled down she will be able to replace her washing machine with a new cold feed only model and one that fits the silver colour scheme she wants.

It is a Hotpoint First Edition 1000 and the question is "Do I need to cap off the hot feed on the washer before I install the machine for her?"

I am worried that water may come out of the hot feed entry point but I am sure there must be some check valve in the machine to prevent this.

Adam

.
Reply to
ARWadsworth

Whether there is or not, I wouldn't rely on it. Either cap it off, or I have seen Y-connectors and/or Y-hoses..

Reply to
Bob Eager

The solution is to obtain a Y connector and to feed cold to both inlets. Every DIY emporium has them.

The machine will be supplied with water in all of the places and if it isn't warm enough the heater will do the job.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Sorted.

Thanks Bob and Andy. A Y connector it is.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , ARWadsworth writes

You can get a standard plastic screw-on splitter that allows both the hot and cold hoses to be attached to a single cold water feed. Alternatively just add another "tap-in" washing machine feed on the existing cold line.

That's how I plumbed my machine.

At modern low temperature washes it doesn't take the machine long to heat the water to a suitable temperature.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

If the machine claims to have a cold-fill option, then the hot connection should be adequately protected. If you're not sure, or want to play safe, connect both hoses to the cold tap with a Y-piece:

"If voting made any difference, they would ban it."

Reply to
John Laird