washer shut off valves

Hi All

I've been defeated by shut off valves seeming to go sticky and then the plastic screw on valve handle snapping in the centre where the screw fixes it. But I've just found the reason... well in my case at least. The plastic hose (cold inlet pipe) with its plastic hand screw tight threaded (female) connector fouls the full path of the valve's plastic handle... but only when fully turned on. So it doesn't notice when installing the inlet hose.

This is what makes the valve seem like its failing. The clearance is so tight that the hose's screw on connector screws down too far causing this problem. I wonder if the use of an additional washer inside the inlet valve would help?

Anyone else noticed this happening? Rgds., Tom

Reply to
Tom

Nope.Dunno where you got your hoses from but I have used several over the years and never ever experienced this . Buy another pair of hoses and try them .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Yes, the common cheap'n'nasty washing machine valves are a PITA. I've seen some with much nicer little tab-style handles, but don't know where to get them, and I have some with small knobs and mechanisms like traditional taps rather than ball-type like isolation valves which are OK but only available in straight (not right-angle or Tee). Of course one could always just have a ball-type isolation or lever valve and separate

3/4" Male connector for the machine hose, or even hack a 3/4" x 1/2" reducing bush onto the 1/2" threaded end of the 15mm compression fitting of a suitable isolation or lever valve.
Reply to
YAPH

Just thinking !! What part of the valve handle is it that is fouling the hose connector ...presumably the short end ....if so can you not file it down a bit so it doesn't foul the hose connector. Are the valves fitted the correct way round in relation to the water flow ?

I have just looked at my hoses where they connect with the valves and the lever on the valve has plenty of clearance between it and the connector on the hose so perhaps your answer is to replace the valves with better ones ..

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Can't you take the valve handle off and refit them rotated by 180 degrees or will they only fit in one orientation?

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Thanks for all the replies - sorry, rotation of the valve can't be done/doesn't work as they only go on one way ... and its the little part at the end that has caused all the grief !

Yes cutting off the over-hanging end part of the coloured turning lever/knob would probably work. Either that or getting some better hoses - its the plastic connector on the cold one that is causing this. Where should I get them from, B&Q, eBay, Robert Dyas ... ?

The valves I've used over the last 10 years at least are marketed under the Primflow name from my local plumber's merchants - they are also sold by on-line plumber's merchants too.

Cheers, Tom

Reply to
Tom