Value routers

I know it was just covered a couple of days ago. But I'm trying to get some advice on buying a router for <100.
Wickes do a 1/2" 1600W for 40, was 80.
Apart from that it's the unkown brands on ebay or lower power rated brand names.
What about the B&Q range,Pro - crap or value for money?
Cheer
Matt
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:26:39 -0000, "MattP" <@tiscali.co.uk {add mattspersonal before @}> wrote:

How much are you expecting to use it and for what?
To be useful at all, a router has to have plunge mechanisms that operate smoothly and generally be free of play.
The collet must hold the bits securely and without scoring them or excessive vibration. It is dangerous if not.
The motor in a 1/2" router especially must be powerful enough (not just the number on the box but the genuine power delivered) or it won't deal with larger bits.
The speed control must be functional because larger bits must be turned more slowly. It is dangerous to rotate larger bits above the specified speed.
It is very difficult to meet those requirements in a sub 100 router.
Depending on where the shortcomings are, the results will be disappointing or the machine will be difficult to use resulting in regular divotting of materials. In the worst case it can be downright dangerous.
This is not a tool where going to a really cheap one is prudent at all. You would be better off trimming your budget on other things or doing without and look at 1/2" routers in the 150-200 range as the minimum

I would not look at unknown brands on Ebay because there is little comeback or availability of spares.
Depending on what you want to achieve, a 1/4" decent router like a Trend T5 could also be a good option.

Has been discussed here a few times. Crap.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I agree with everything Andy says about routers. If you pay less than 100 for a router then you aren't buying a serious machine.

Agreed. A substantial router will not be less than 150.

My gut feel is - forget it.

I have a Trend T9 and it is a serious bit of kit for doing kitchen worktops and the like. However it's a bit big for smaller jobs, and I have my eyes on a T5 as a middle-size router to take on the smaller jobs.

A lot of that feedback came from my personal experience of a B&Q PowerPro 2050W - 99. I reported on this at length on this forum maybe 6 months ago.
My advice for anyone considering this pile of pooh is to don running shoes and practice the Lynford Christie getaway routine. The router is absolute crap and you are guaranteed of one thing - disappointment.
I bought one believing it would do the job I wanted - occasional worktops and the like. It performed like an 800W router, slowed down when put into the worktop, and I was concerned that the plunge lock was designed to be an advisory limit rather than an absolute lock position - the plunge would go up/down as the router felt like rather than stay put at a given depth.
By comparison the T9 locks and stays locked - I've never known the router plunge to a different depth once the lock is on.
PoP
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:26:39 -0000, "MattP" <@tiscali.co.uk {add mattspersonal before @}> wrote:

good, haven't used it yet but it'll do for most jobs. I found the 1/2" too big and bulky for most jobs, the 1/4" will cope just fine with the occasional kitchen fitting and other tasks. FWIW the 1/2" Ryobi in the same range as the one above is about 250. In a couple of classes above the wickes and B&Q!
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Hi Lurch
Can you tell me what DIPT is or what the www is? I might check it out.
Regarding my use it's strictly hobby, and not pro use (I've too many other darn hobbies). I was concerned about the 1/4" option as it's received some stick elsewhere it terms or power, but it appears here that it's perfectly functional.
Thanks for all your comments
Matt

In fact just found what I think you're talking about
http://www.protrade.co.uk/shop/options.asp?pid 6

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:34:39 -0000, "MattP" <@tiscali.co.uk {add mattspersonal before @}> wrote:

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Please let me know how you get on and perhaps give it a mark out of 10.
I'm most interested in the plunge action, as the cheaper ones can get sticky.
Thnx
Matt

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:56:17 -0000, "MattP" <@tiscali.co.uk {add mattspersonal before @}> wrote:

1/2" Ryobi. It's a serious bit of heavy duty kit, it seems pretty indestructable. I've cut quite a few worktops with it, (38mm ones mainly), amongst other things as as he and it hasn't missed a beat. Going on that basis I thought the 1/4" would do for most jobs adequately and manage the occasional worktop. I've got a couple of projects lined up, maybe I'll start them soon and get some use from the router!
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
I keep misreading the title of this thread as "Valve routers", and thinking that the analog-is-best lot from the hi-fi newsgroups are getting in on the discussions about CAT5 network wiring ... would a "valve router" make all the bits "warm" and "involving", just as valve amps are supposed to do to sound???
:-)
Julian
--
Julian Fowler
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:26:39 -0000, "MattP" <@tiscali.co.uk {add mattspersonal before @}> wrote:

I've just had an Axminster flier through the door. Their "white" own-brand 1/2" is now going for 120 with a wide range of bits. Anyone have one ?

Yes, thanks.
Sorry, you want comments?
Its OK. Probably better than some cheapo own-brands, but not up there with the brand name stuff. It's pretty big & heavy, but the most frequent comment is that the plunge action is a bit sticky.
--
Steve