Using One Shot drain clearer in sinks

Our kitchen sink drain is blocked and only draining slowly. I have a bottle of One Shot acid - is it Ok to use on plastic pipes and what's the best procedure?

Instructions say remove as much water as possible first and then add water once you have put in 125ml acid - obviously I can get rid of the all the water in the trap but I was taught never to add water to acid...

Is it best to slowly add to the water in the trap and then wait and then flush some cold water from the tap?

Reply to
John Smith

Personally I've found the Mr Muscle foaming drain cleaner extremely good for situations like this as it coats all the gunk in the pipe. I've cleared a slow draining shower - took 3 goes but now the water just runs away rather than filling the tray to 3" deep.

To answer your question, we'd need to know the make of the cleaner - or its ingredients.

Your teaching only applies to adding water to concentrated acids where the mixing releases a lot of heat - notable conc. sulphuric acid. Conc. HCl is no problem mixing with water. Also applies to sodium hydroxide crystals.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's basically 90% sulphuric acid - see

Just pondering whether this is best not used in plastic drainage pipes...

Reply to
John Smith

It's very strong sulphuric acid. As you say, you can drain the trap before adding the acid (don't forget to put it back together first!).

125 ml of acid should sit comfortably in the lower part of the trap, but when you add the water it will probably react violently, possibly causing a fountain of boiling water and acid to emerge like a jet from the plug-hole. Apart from then attacking anything it lands on, like the SS sink, work top, pots and pans, an inquisitive child who's crept up behind you unnoticed, it will also attack you if you happen to be in the way, which you may well be if you're still pouring the water.

If it were me, I'd try a less corrosive dra Sulfuric acid 91 % Reacts violently with water. Wash promptly if skin becomes contaminated.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

This may be of interest

Chris Hogg

To be honest, it does not seem the best. Bleach is sufficient to take out the living scunge and to a degree attacks grease - the problem is it doesn't get to the upper parts of the pipe, which is where the foaming stuff comes in handy. I've only ever used acid on limescale.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'm not sure if the OP means the U bend trap under the sink, it which case why not just remove it? When he says kitchen sink 'drain' could that be outside>

One Shot is usually added to water in a WC, technically the wrong way around, but you can't do anything else. As you say it will badly damage SS sinks, chrome wastes and anything else.

I use it quite often, but I'm ultra careful as you have suggested.

Reply to
David Lang

Probably less likely to affect plastic pipes than metal ones.

That rule is specifically for sulphuric acid. I've just looked, "One Shot" claims to be 94% sulphuric acid, if it really is that strong then, yes, you should add acid to water. However, I'm amazed that they're allowed to sell acid that strong, if it really is.

Follow the instructions would seem to be the best idea to me.

Reply to
cl

Why not just take the trap apart and clean it out?

Reply to
Roger Mills

No, it's the right way round, add concentrated acid to a large volume of water is the safe/correct way round.

Reply to
cl

Have you tried the obvious?

Mr Pounder Esquire

Sometimes correct depends on the purpose. I use concentrated caustic soda - Sodium hydroxide -- down in the U -bend and ad hot water.

It is explosive, but it clears the bloody drains all right!

You just need to not get skin or eyes in the way of the caustic geyser.

Permanent blindness is possible.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The blockage is further down the pipework and buried under the kitchen floor or in units.

Reply to
John Smith

One Shot comes in a plastic bottle :-)

It is that strong, trust me. Nothing else works quite like it.

Reply to
David Lang

That One Shot drain cleaner is in fact 91% conc sulphuric acid.

Conc.

Reply to
Thomas Johns

On a trip browsing around Lidl (an excuse for a cycle ride), I picked up one of those "that might be useful one day" purchases, which is a pipe cleaning kit you connect to a pressure washer outlet, like a smaller version of the ones Thames Water used up a blocked sewer.

About 2 weeks later, the kitchen sink blocked enough that the dishwasher pump-out backed up into the sink and then drained away slowly.

Took the U-trap off, but could instantly see the problem was the exit pipework was gundged up, with only about a 1/2" holw left down the middle for the water to flow away. Fetched the pipe cleaner from the garage, connected up the pressure washer, and it worked fantastically. Pushed the cleaning head right through until the pipe opened out into the 4" waste pipe from upstairs. The backwards-facing jets chisseled the grime off the pipe, leaving the small part I could see (and I assume the rest too) looking like nice new shiny plastic.

Cleaning head won't go around a U-trap, but it managed the other bends. I did have a little difficulty pulling it back out of the 4" pipe back into the 40mm branch, because a heatshrink sleave on the end was catching on an edge in the pipework, but it eventually released.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Blimey...

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's the reaction and heat that's a concern with plastic and seems to be what happened in that awful news item someone else linked to on this thread about it coming through a ceiling and dripping on a boy's face in the flat below.

Reply to
John Smith

How do you know? Have you had the trap apart?

If it *is* downstream of the trap, you may be able to get some sort of flexible device down the pipe to clear it if you first remove the trap to get access to the pipe.

I would regard powerful chemicals as very much of a last resort.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes, I've got one of those. Never needed to use it in anger though - YET!

Is it really suitable for indoor use? I would have thought that the backward facing nozles may propel water - and gunge - back out of the end of the pipe and spray it all round the kitchen. Did you manage to avoid that?

Reply to
Roger Mills