Using foam offcuts for insulation?

I have many binbags and boxes of kingspan offcuts and expanding foam trimmings, Rather than bin them could I use them for insulation under floors? But loosefill insulation comes in round granules, wouldnt air currents make my offcut idea a waste of time? Even if I cover it with rockwool? What if I sandwich it in rockfill? I hate throwing things away! [george]

Reply to
george - dicegeorge

Depending on how big the bits are, you could "embed" them in canned foam.

Reply to
harry

Handy in the garden. I have a couple of "tender" perennials that have survived the winter outdoors thanks to closed cell foam

Reply to
stuart noble

Sounds like small bits, chuck 'em. If there are enough large bits of kingspan I guess you could "crazy pave" 'em into a space held together with low expansion expanindg foam. Shouldn't think you have enough "waste" to be really useful though, not unless there was something very awkward about the spaces you were insulating and didn't use the larger offcuts within that that job.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You can use it. IIRC loosefill gets around half the insulation value of solid. You might fix that by mixing in a little loosefill fibreglass insulation.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Granulate it and then set it in expanding foam ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

But then if any water gets down there from roof leaks or plumbing leaks it would stay there and rot the timbers, but with rockwool and loose fill there'd be telltale black mould on the ceiling below.

I am experiemnting with vertical lines of plasterboard between the kingspan so any leaks will soak through and show up before rotting the timbers!¬

[george]
Reply to
george - dicegeorge

I am experimenting with vertical lines of plasterboard between the kingspan so any leaks will soak through and show up before rotting the timbers!¬

[george]
Reply to
george - dicegeorge

I'm using an Aldi garden shredder to granulate the kingspan offcuts (bought it years ago but never used it in the garden cos it seemed too puny) Now I've worked out its maximum input chunk size its working well.

[g]
Reply to
george - dicegeorge