UPS questions (and embarrasment)

Having replaced the battery in my servers UPS, I finally decided to really look into managing it via Linux. So I spend a good evening reading the NUT documentation, and ploughing my way through the config files.

After a couple of hours, I was very proud of my little self. I had everything configured the way I liked it, and testing was a charm. I even managed to create my own scripts to run via the upssched tool, to send me email alerts at various stages of the power outage to shutdown journey.

Showed SWMBO the mails coming through on my phone, and commented that if were away, we'd still know if there's a power cut. Still chuffed, you can imagine the scene when she said

"Oh, can you still get onto the internet if there's a power failure ?"

Given that the router and modem are NOT powered via the UPS, this is a damn good point ! I think my face must have looked a little like Wile E Coyote, when he runs off a cliff and just realises.

Anyway, lack of internet during a shutdown is not a big deal - certainly not worth all the cabling I'd have to do to move the modem and router.

On a more serious note, my desire was to keep the machine on for 10 minutes, just in case the power pings back, otherwise go into a shutdown (*including* shutting the UPS itself off - something I didn't realise had to be done to save the battery). However the various guides seem to strongly recommend only shutting down when the UPS battery itself is low. Now my battery is a YUASA NPW45 and it says "45W/Cell 10 minutes". Given my server load (according to the UPS monitor) is about 15%, how long would the battery keep it going ? It's only a little thing, so I wouldn't want to push it.

Curious to hear what others think.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

May not be the same on yours, but my APC UPS units have a s'calibration' mode where they run themselves down to near 'flat' on the existing load. Then you can find out how long it's likely to last on *your* load.

NUT will have a command for initiating that if the unit supports it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah, thanks for that. Bit of further digging reveals upscmd and a list of commands I can send to the UPS to test battery and the like.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Install the GUI (if you can also install a local apache). The GUI just gives you a drop down list of commands, and a nice set of pictures of remaining capacity, mains voltage, etc. From that single page you can monitor all UPS units on the network (I have three).

(put nut-cgi into Google Images)

Reply to
Bob Eager

We recently had a D Link Share Centre installed. This has all the data files and is accessible from all machines. We have two UPSs, one for each desk machine. When the office is closed these are switched off. I said, "So I can put the Share Centre on one of the UPSs, and it will be OK when I cut all the power at night?" "Oh no, it has to be shut down properly." No-one will remember to do that, so the Share Centre got its own UPS on Monday. Just as well, because I shorted neutral to ground yesterday whilst altering the power to the boiler. This tripped the consumer unit and all the power went off.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I have that installed, and use the graphic display for info. Have to see how it works with upscmd.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You shouldn't need to use upscmd at all except for shell scripts. I do most of the maintenance (tests, calibration etc.) from the GUI.

But I do a weekly test via a cron job.

Reply to
Bob Eager

NUT has a GUI? When did that start? It was all command line when I last looked.

(Yours truly wrote some of the Solaris related stuff in NUT.)

I really must get it properly installed here. Bl**dy VirtualBox effs about with the permissions of the USB devices and stops NUT from getting access to the serial port (which is a USB one in my case) and I'm damned if I can make head or tail of the way udev works to have it set the permissions correctly on /dev/ttyUSB0.

(I have the same problem with my scanner. In the end I just wrote a shell script to sort out the permissions. Sigh.)

Reply to
Huge

Sorry to be a bit thick, but I can't see how to send commands to the ups ... http://localhost/cgi-bin/nut/upsstats.cgi?host=EatonNV400@localhost just displays the status. And going to http://localhost/cgi-bin/nut/upsstats.cgi just gives a summary and access to the data tree ...

am I missing a trick ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

aha, found upsset.cgi, and tweaked apache as it insists .... wow, things are looking peachy !!!!!

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Just a CGI script, but it works well.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In fact, you should just use the index.html provided, with a couple of other HTML files and a PNG file for a logo. On my ststem it's all in /usr/ local/www/nut, but that's on FreeBSD. You then get a nice 'front page' and they also interlink.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My solution to that one is an additional small 400VA UPS beside my comms cabinet - it holds up the routers, switches, and PABX for as long as its battery lasts.

Reply to
John Rumm

The modem/router is probably the most important thing I have running on the UPS now - the computers are laptops. It's definitely worth keeping the internet going.

Have you considered not moving the mountain of phone/cat5, but instead running a single mains cable from the UPS to modem/router?

Reply to
Clive George

I've had mine powered off the UPS for years; not because I expected to run for any length of time on it, but just in case there was something that was nearly done downloading or even partway through. The number of off/on supply interruptions that last less than ten seconds are about 5 or 6 times a year. Ah, the joys of a rural power line.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ding. My UPS is in the back room, with a supply cable running to the front room. Been that way since I got it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon